Edinson Cavani has revealed that he will decide on his future after going on a break following the Confederations Cup. The 26-year-old, who scored twice in Uruguay’s third-place playoff against Italy on Sunday, has grown frustrated in recent days with Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis’ refusal to countenance offers that fail to match a €63 million (£54m) release clause as well his insisting that Cavani decide on his future by July 20. And Cavani now appears to be tiring of the incessant questions and speculation about where he will be playing next season.
"Everything I say at the moment could be misunderstood, so I prefer not to talk about the future,” he said, according to Sky Sports. "I'm going on holiday with my family and then I will come back to Italy to consider the whole situation."
Cavani has been heavily linked with Chelsea and there were even reports in Italy over the weekend that terms had been agreed to with the player. Even if that were to prove true, meeting Napoli’s valuation is likely to be a much harder task. Real Madrid and Manchester City are also believed to be interested.
In contrast, Atletico Mineiro have conceded that they will not be able to hang onto their rising star Bernard. The attacking midfielder is thought to be interesting both Tottenham and Chelsea and has impressed in this season’s Copa Libertadores before earning a place in Brazil’s squad for the Confederations Cup.
The diminutive and gifted 20-year-old will surely stay until Atletico complete their campaign in South America’s leading club competition, with the first leg of their semifinal taking place this week before the final later this month, but then looks set to leave.
Continue Reading Below
"Atletico Mineiro won't be able to keep Bernard, but this is natural,” head coach Cuca told Brazilian publication UOL. "We have to take advantage of having him in Libertadores and if he leaves, as it seems it will happen, it's up to us to develop another player like him."
Another 20-year-old Jose Mourinho is thought to be chasing is Sevilla defensive midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia. And the La Liga side have disclosed that they have rejected a verbal offer of £7.7 million. The identity of the club has not been revealed and Sevilla have insisted that they want to keep the player who is currently performing at the Under-20 World Cup with France.
“The bid wasn't sufficient," president Jose Maria del Nido said, according to the Daily Mirror. "The idea is that he continues growing here at Seville, just like he did last season." Del Nido also revealed that the bid would have to be made in writing for the matter to go any further. "There exists an obligation that if a formal, written offer of over six million Euros arrives then we must accept it and sell him, or match it and keep half of his economic rights," he added. "But they haven't done it in writing, which they must do."
One youngster Chelsea have secured the signing of is 16-year-old Isaiah Brown. The Blues have beaten off competition from Arsenal to lure the striker from West Brom, according to the Sunday People. However, with the clubs unable to agree a fee, the matter will now be resolved by a tribunal.