Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini has appeared to open the door for a move to Chelsea, by telling the Blues to make a firm offer if they are serious about their interest.
Fellaini, 25, has long been linked with a move to Chelsea, but the Belgium international has said that he has never heard anything official.
“If Chelsea want to sign me, then they need to come forward with a bid for me,” he said, according to the Sun. “I have heard about Chelsea’s interest but I’ve honestly not spoken to them.
“Every season I’ve been here, top clubs have been asking about me but, for now, I’m happy at Everton.”
Fellaini appeared to suggest in an interview back in Belgium earlier this season that he could soon be moving onto a bigger club. He later denied making those comments, but it still appears that his future could depend on whether Everton can claim a place in the Champions League this season.
“It might feel better to play Champions League football for Everton than Chelsea, as they gave me my debut in England,” he explained.Chelsea also have another Belgian on their mind while they maintain their pursuit of Radamel Falcao away from Atletico Madrid. Goalkeeper Thiabaut Courtois, 20, is currently spending his second season on-loan at Atletico and has been a big success at the Vicente Calderon.
Citing a story from Spanish source El Economista, Metro reports that Chelsea could be willing to lose the former Genk man if it helps them secure in-demand Colombian striker Falcao. It is believed that Chelsea will table a bid of £47 million in addition to Courtois.
The story must be viewed with some doubt, however, given that Falcao has a €55 million (£47m) release clause in his contract, meaning that Atletico would be powerless to stop the 27-year-old leaving if Chelsea, or any club, pays that amount.
There could be some substance to the idea of Chelsea being prepared to lose Courtois, however, with a bid being made for young Birmingham goalkeeper Jack Butland in the January transfer window. The England international turned down the move, electing to join Stoke instead.
A piece of transfer speculation has been revived in recent days, with the Sunday People claiming that Chelsea maintain an interest in Brazilian attacking midfielder Willian. The 24-year-old left Shakhtar Donetsk in a massive £30 million deal last month, yet it is said that Chelsea will attempt to lure him to Stamford Bridge with a £35 million offer, either this summer or next January.
According to the People, Shakhtar president Rinat Akhmetov refused to sell to his fellow oligarch Roman Abramovich at Chelsea.
Another player that could soon be heading to Chelsea is Chilean youngster Cristian Cuevas. The 17-year-old recently starred in the South American Under-20 championship and his agent has confirmed that talks are ongoing with Chelsea.
“The negotiations are very advanced with Chelsea,” Mauricio Valenzuela said, according to the Daily Mail. “There are still a few details, but the situation is very advanced.
“We have been working on this for a while, the idea is that players can leave Chile and be successful.”
The Mail reports that Chelsea offered £2.2 million for the midfielder, but his club O’Higgins are seeking £3.4 million.
Sports reporter, mainly focusing on my native sport of soccer, but also dabbling in some tennis and Formula One.