They may have already spent big this summer, but Chelsea remain intent on strengthening certain areas of their side; namely revamping the team's right side.
Chelsea are keen to add Wigan winger Victor Moses as well as right-back Cesar Azpilicueta of Marseille before the season gets underway in just over two weeks' time, according to the Daily Telegraph.
The Blues have chased Moses for much of the summer, yet have had several bids rejected by Wigan. Moses is entering the final year of his deal and is said to be eager for a move to go through, yet Latics chairman Dave Whelan has presented stubborn resistance.
The Telegraph reports, however, that a deal will be struck for an initial £6 million, potentially rising to £9 million. Moses is seen as the man to add vital pace to the right side of Chelsea's attack next season, with Ramires preferred in a deeper-lying central role.
While it is difficult to rule anything out given Chelsea's massive recruitment drive this summer, the seemingly imminent signing of Moses would seem to end the Blues' interest in Hulk.
Speculation had been strong the Brazilian would arrive from Porto, but the Portuguese champions stubbornly refused to lower their asking price. The latest comments from the 26-year-old's agent seem to confirm that negotiations have ended.
"We are not talking with any club at the moment," Teodoro Fonseca said, according to Sky Sports. "Hulk is totally focused on the Olympic Games.
"There is no hurry. The window only closes on August 31 and he is still under contract with Porto."
It appears that Chelsea will soon get the regular right-back that the side has long craved. With Jose Bosingwa having departed this summer and Branislav Ivanovic always seen as a more natural center-back, there was an obvious void to fill on the right of Chelsea's defense this season.
The Blues have been in negotiations with Marseille for some time over the transfer of Spaniard Cesar Azpilicueta and could soon be set for a breakthrough. The Daily Mail has reported that Chelsea had a £5.4 million bid rejected, but are expected to return with an improved offer. According to the Daily Telegraph that deal will be worth £8 million, which should be enough to secure the 22-year-old.
With a new right-back on the way, it is unlikely that Chelsea have any desire for their experienced left-back Ashley Cole to depart the club. According to the Daily Mirror, however, big-spending Paris Saint-Germain are set to make an offer for the England international. The Ligue 1 side are managed by former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti and would love to make Cole their latest high-profile signing after securing former-Milan duo Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva.
Cole's situation is complicated by the fact that he has just a year remaining on his contract at Stamford Bridge. While the Mirror claims that the 31-year-old has yet to be offered a new deal, it is difficult to imagine the former Arsenal star joining the revolution in the French Capital.