It’s official: Chris Hemsworth has been named People magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive. The actor is best known for playing the Norse god of Thunder, Thor, in Marvel’s cinematic universe. However, he has rounded out his acting career with other projects like “The Cabin in the Woods,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” Ron Howard's "Rush," Howard’s upcoming period adventure “In the Heart of the Sea” and the crime drama "Blackhat," set for release in January.
"I think you've bought me a couple of weeks of bragging rights around the house," the 31-year-old told People upon hearing he was the number one hunk of 2014.
While anyone can look at Hemsworth and understand People’s choice, we thought it might be fun to examine some of the actor’s best quotes so fans can swoon over his personality. Below are some of the Australian actor’s best off-screen lines:
- On acting: "The biggest thing is just not looking stupid. You’ve just got to remember there’s another 30 different stages that are going to come into it before anyone will see that on screen." -- Buzzfeed (Oct. 2014)
- On gaining 20 pounds of muscle to play Thor: "It’s not so much the staying in shape. Once you get to the shape, maintaining it -- it’s work, but it’s less work than trying to get it off to do another role, or to put it back on when you start from scratch. That’s been tough." -- Buzzfeed (Oct. 2014)
- On his “Thor” co-star Anthony Hopkins: "I put the costume on for the first time and had the camera test and Anthony Hopkins was there with me. We looked at each other and he said, 'God, there's no acting required here, is there?'" -- MTV News (July 2010)
- On seeing “Thor” for the first time: "I have seen 'Thor,' yeah. It's fantastic. Being that close to something, it's often pretty hard to watch yourself, but the film in so many ways is so impressive that I was swept along with it like an audience member, and that's a pretty good sign." -- MTV News (July 2010)
- On life in the Australian Outback: “It's beautiful up there in the Northern Territory. My earliest memories are of buffalo and crocodiles. As a kid, you don't own a pair of shoes because it's too hot!” -- Cineplex (April 2012)
- On an appearance at Comic-Con San Diego on July 26, 2014, noting that in Marvel's print universe the new Thor will be a woman: "I don't want to speak too early and jinx it, but I think that could be my Oscar." -- Comic-Con (July 2014 via Hitfix)
- On playing a superhero: “As a kid, you run around the house pretending to be a superhero, and now to be doing it as a job, I feel very lucky.” -- OK magazine (April 2011)
- On his personal heroes: “People who put themselves on the line and sacrifice their own safety for the greater good and for others, and anyone in any profession whose concern is the welfare of other people instead of the individual, are inspiring and important.” -- Press Conference via Collider (May 2010)
- On fame: “I almost feel more anxious lately about, ‘Here’s your opportunity, now you’ve got to make something of it.'” -- Glamour (May 2012)
- On his childhood: “I’d like to think I’m a normal sort of guy, but go to my mum and she’ll probably say, ‘You know, Chris was always the daughter out of my three boys.’” -- Glamour (May 2012)
- On working in the U.S.: “You come to America, and, if you do a big TV show, then you can be overexposed, or old, before you’re new." -- Out (April 2012)