Clayton Law was showing a friend his handgun when he accidently shot himself fatally in the head.

The 23-year-old U.S. Army veteran who served three tours in Afghanistan as an Army Ranger, died early Sunday morning at his fraternity house in Murray, Ky., AP reports.

"He was a young man just looking forward to life," Murray State University vice president Mike Young told The Paducah Sun. "He joined the fraternity in the fall and just was excited that he had all these guys that reminded him of when he was in the service. That was his family away from home, and he was looking for that here."

Young said Law was a member of the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity but did not live in the house.

On his Facebook page, Law listed his hometown as Cortland, N.Y. Young said Law did basic training at Fort Benning before coming to Murray State University. His family is stationed at Fort Knox, Young told the Murray Ledger.  

This isn’t the first time a young member of the military accidently dies.

In January 2012, a Navy SEAL shot himself in the head while showing his gun to a woman he met at a bar, Reuters reports.

Police said the woman had asked Petty Officer Third Class Gene Clayton, 22, to put the gun away. Instead, in a possible effort to demonstrate the gun was safe, Clayton put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Police said Clayton may have thought the gun was unloaded.

Clayton Law's accidental death comes months after one of the nation's most liberal gun laws was implemented. In January, a new gun law in Kentucky went into effect that allowed guns into public places that they have long been banned from, WLKY reports.

The new law applies to all public places except schools and colleges. Guns are allowed in the State Capitol, city halls, council chambers, community centers, libraries and even carried on EMTs.

“We were keeping all guns out of government buildings because, you know, sometimes heated exchanges take place in government buildings by citizens,” Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said. “We felt like that was best for the safety of the employees of the city.  We can no longer prohibit guns from coming in to our building,”