Performers at the 2016 CMT Music Awards ceremony pulled out all the stops Wednesday night, when audience members watched as their favorite country crooners rocked the stage with powerhouse solos, toe-tapping duets and assorted group performances at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. If you missed the explosive event, check out a handful of its showstoppers below.
1. Cam and Fifth Harmony: The six women belted out two very different tunes, “Mayday” and “Work From Home,” during the CMT Music Awards presentation, proving there’s no genre they can’t dominate.
2. Carrie Underwood: The singer had the audience praying for more when she bestowed on it a soulful performance of her song “Church Bells” with the help of a gospel choir.
3. Blake Shelton and the Oak Ridge Boys: The denim-clad country singer shared his love of country tunes when he sang “Doing It to Country Songs” at the CMT Music Awards show. He teamed up with the legendary country quartet during his performance, which concluded with the Oak Ridge Boys’ award-winning song “Elvira.”
4. Jason Aldean: In a plaid, sleeveless shirt, the star encouraged audiences to throw their “lighters in the sky” as he sang “Lights Come On” during his performance.
5. Billy Ray Cyrus and Cheap Trick: Cyrus pumped up the crowd with an Elvis Presley tribute as he introduced the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band Cheap Trick. They went on to perform their iconic tune “Surrender.”
Other artists who had the crowd up and dancing included Pitbull, Cassadee Pope and Leona Lewis, who delivered the catchy cut “Messin’ Around”; Dierks Bentley and Elle King, who performed the song “Different for Girls”; Chris Stapleton, who sang the bluesy “Parachute”; and Little Big Town and Pharrell Williams, who tackled the sweet single “Night Owl.”