- ArcelorMittal, Nippon Steel To Buy ThyssenKrupp’s US Plant
November 30 2013 11:45 AM
The $1.55 billion deal follows an 18-month bidding process involving the world’s top steelmakers.
- 5.6-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Iran Near Nuclear Power Plant
November 28 2013 2:16 PM
A 5.6-magnitude earthquake shook southern Iran, near a nuclear power plant in the Bushehr region on Thursday evening.
- Pebble Mine Developer Makes Pitch For Partner, But Also Says He Can Do It Alone
November 27 2013 7:17 AM
Northern Dynasty CEO Ron Thiessen spoke with IBTimes about the Alaskan copper mine proposal.
- South Africa Could See Expansion Of Coal Plants
November 19 2013 8:24 AM
Escalating prices and an abundance of reserves could spur the implementation of coal expansion projects.
- Why Commodity Prices May Fall
November 12 2013 12:45 PM
Oil prices have already started heading south. Will other commodities follow?
- Dow Chemical Q3 Earnings Up 20%
October 24 2013 7:48 AM
The nation's biggest chemical company made substantial progress in paying down its debt during the third quarter.
- Caterpillar Underperforms In Q3 And Sees Challenging 2014
October 23 2013 10:19 AM
Profits for the quarter fell 44 percent from the year before.
- China Bullied Into Environmental Cleanup
October 22 2013 3:02 PM
China, fearful of its trouble with the WTO, is cleaning up its act in rare earth extraction.
- General Electric Q3 Earnings Preview: Better News Next Time
October 17 2013 5:49 AM
The industrial conglomerate’s pace may be slowing, compared to more-specialized competitors.
- Is General Electric Becoming Irrelevant?
October 03 2013 10:52 AM
The diversified industrial giant has fallen out of favor with institutional investors. Here's why.
- Myanmar’s Jade Trade A Lucrative, But Deadly, Industry
September 27 2013 4:00 PM
The world’s primary jade source is also home to 500,000 heroin-addicted miners, most of them HIV-positive.
- Barrick Gold Acknowledges Pascua Lama Cost Headaches
September 24 2013 3:58 PM
Barrick’s CEO told the Denver Gold Forum that it wasn’t worth it for the company to cancel Pascua Lama, because the company is halfway through mine development.
- Pebble Mine Partner Withdraws; Vast Project In Doubt
September 16 2013 6:30 PM
The London partner of a global mining partnership withdrew from a $4.6 billion Alaskan mine proposal, leaving the project’s future shaky.
- Alaska Pipeline Fight May Foreshadow The Future Of Keystone
August 30 2013 9:06 PM
What can the debate over a pipeline built almost 40 years ago tell us about the future of the Keystone XL pipeline?
- EPA Chief Visits Alaskan Pebble Mine
August 27 2013 4:16 PM
New EPA chief Gina McCarthy visited the Alaskan site of a proposed giant copper and gold mine on Tuesday, as she contemplates a project mired in as much environmental controversy as the Keystone XL Pipeline.
- India's ONGC Buys 10% Stake In Mozambique Offshore Gas Field For $2.64B
August 26 2013 4:02 AM
This deal follows ONGC's last acquisition in the Rovuma Area 1 gas field, in June, for $2.47 billion.
- Global Mining Companies Are Booking Huge Write-downs
August 20 2013 3:25 PM
Falling metals prices, especially for gold and copper, have forced mining companies to take big write-downs.
- Mining Giant Xstrata To Write Down $7B In Assets
August 19 2013 9:29 AM
Falling prices for nickel are part of the reason Xstrata is taking a big write-down.
- EU Requests WTO To Rule On Chinese Anti-Dumping Duties On Steel Products
August 17 2013 5:12 PM
The EU asked the WTO to rule in a dispute over anti-dumping duties imposed by China on imports of steel tubes from Europe.
- European And Chinese Demand For Chemicals Slows Down
August 08 2013 5:38 PM
Abenomics may be boosting Japanese chemical companies, however.