- EU Doesn't Like China's Steel Duties Either
June 11 2013 10:12 AM
The European Union reportedly will join Japan in a complaint against Chinese steel duties filed with the World Trade Organization.
- Kinross Gold Abandons Huge Ecuadorian Venture
June 11 2013 7:37 AM
Ecuador's leftist government demanded a 70 percent windfall profits tax for access to the world's largest untapped gold resource.
- Freeport's Indonesia Mining Operations Halted
June 04 2013 9:55 AM
The Indonesian government shut down production at a U.S.-owned ore mine following the deaths of 28 workers in a May 14 tunnel collapse.
- Could Copper Become The New Gold?
June 01 2013 12:05 AM
Hoarding of copper by warehouses has distorted prices to new highs, despite a global glut.
- In Kyrgyzstan, Centerra Gold Trumps Protesters' Demands -- For Now
May 31 2013 12:14 PM
Villagers stormed a Canadian-owned gold mine in Kyrgyzstan, demanding money and infrastructure investments.
- Alaskan Mine Could Create Jobs, But Controversy Continues
May 30 2013 5:54 PM
An economic impact study by a pair of mineral developers who want to tap a valuable Alaskan mine faces skepticism from activists, who are backed by a recent EPA report.
- Patriot Coal Bankruptcy Deal Approved by Court, Blasted by Union
May 30 2013 12:24 PM
A court ruled that more than $150 million in labor cuts were necessary to keep the coal mining company out of bankruptcy.
- China's Steel Companies Struggle To Make Ends Meet
May 23 2013 5:28 AM
The Chinese steel industry is experiencing a widespread slump. Steel companies' poor balance sheets reveal just how steep this slump is.
- India Court Clears Way For Posco's $12B Mining Plant
May 10 2013 1:23 PM
Posco, one of the world's largest steel makers, aims to produce 12 million tons of steel a year from a new plant in India.
- Wrigley Pulls Caffeine-Laced Gum
May 10 2013 9:20 AM
Wrigley said it would take Alert Energy, its caffeine-laced gum, off store shelves due to pressure from the FDA.
- South Africa’s Mining Union To Seek Double-Digit Pay Hike
April 29 2013 11:20 AM
The National Union of Mineworkers, an ally of South Africa’s ruling African National Congress, wants a double-digit pay hike.
- Ninety Chemical Plants Put More Than 1,000,000 People At Risk
April 18 2013 4:06 PM
Check out this map of the 90 chemical plants that could cause harm to the million or more people that live nearby:
- Demand for Greener Homes To Boost Materials Industry
March 05 2013 4:37 PM
Increasing residential construction is expected to propel growth for green building materials by 11 percent annually.
- Mongolia Mine Block - Resource Nationalism Or Negotiating Tactic?
February 28 2013 3:42 PM
The Mongolian government blocked mining licenses for Entree Gold, Inc. Is this resource nationalism? Probably not.
- Apparently, Asteroid Mining Is A Thing
February 14 2013 12:16 PM
Hollywood depicts asteroids as Earth-shattering nemeses, but, in the real world, some hope to bring them closer to Earth.
- No Plans To Halt Work On Oyu Tolgoi Project - Rio Tinto
January 31 2013 11:08 AM
Anglo-Australian miner Tio Tinto Group says it has no plans to temporarily halt work on its giant Oyu Tolgoi mine in Mongolia.
- Huntsman To Trim European Staff To Achieve Some $70M Gains
January 24 2013 8:50 AM
Chemical maker Huntsman will trim its European manufacturing payroll to make its Advanced Materials division more efficient.
- Thief Gets Pizza, Not Money: Would-Be Montana Robber Leaves Papa John's With Another Type Of Dough After Change Of Heart
January 23 2013 2:30 PM
A would-be thief who had a change of heart over his criminal intentions left a Montana Papa John’s with another kind of dough – a pizza pie for his family instead of the restaurant’s cash.
- What's Rio Tinto To Do? Minerals Or Margins?
January 19 2013 1:46 PM
Rio Tinto Group, the mining giant that just admitted that it’s worth $14 billion less than previously stated, is at a crossroads.
- Alcoa Q4 Profit Meets, Revenue Beats Expectations
January 08 2013 9:42 PM
Alcoa, the largest aluminum producer in the U.S., posted a fourth-quarter profit on Tuesday, in line with Wall Street expectations, and handily beat expectations on revenue.