The doors of “Downton Abbey” will soon close, but U.S. viewers still have a couple of months left with the Crawley family. Although the final season finished airing in the U.K., American fans will start watching Season 6 on PBS Sunday. However, there are a few things fans should know before tuning into the final episodes.
1. Lady Mary’s Love: Mary (Michelle Dockery) will see her love interest from the Christmas special, Henry Talbot (Matthew Goode), return, but is he Mr. Right? “Henry Talbot comes back into her life,” Dockery teased to TVLine. “But it’s complicated, as it always is. It’s never plain sailing in her love life.”
2. Three Weddings: Plenty of “Downton” residents, both up- and downstairs, will find love this year. Expect no less than three walks down the aisle.
3. Sex Talk: One of those weddings will be that of Mr. Carson (Jim Carter) and Mrs. Hughes (Phyllis Logan). The conservative couple will have to address the plan of what will happen on their first night of marriage. Mrs. Patmore (Lesley Nicol) will have to help them communicate.
Watch a trailer for the final season of “Downton Abbey” below:
4. Anna’s And Bates’ Family: Anna (Joanne Froggatt) and Bates (Brendan Coyle) will be attempting to have kids. However, as is the case with everything in their lives, they’ll struggle at it. “At the beginning of Season 6, Anna is not in a very good place, once again!” Froggatt told Yahoo TV. “We start off and she’s just had a miscarriage and that’s her third, or possibly fourth, so she doesn’t think she’s able to have children. She’s hugely upset about that — she feels that she’s not doing her duty as a woman. She just feels that the one thing she’s supposed to be able to do is to give Mr. Bates a baby.”
5. Edith Secret: While Edith’s (Laura Carmichael) parents learned she is Marigold’s mother last year, the rest of her family and friends are still in the dark. However, secrets have a way of coming out on “Downton Abbey.”
6. Returning Faces: Tom (Allen Leech) may have made a big fuss about leaving last year, but he’ll soon change his mind. Rose (Lily James) will return for the finale, and even Gwen (Rose Leslie) will visit her friends again.
7. A Happy Series Finale: “Downton Abbey” won’t end with a crazy cliffhanger. “All the servants are together in the hall,” Carter told the Mail on Sunday’s Event magazine (via the Telegraph) in September. “It is New Year’s Eve, it’s candlelit, and there are Christmas decorations left over. It is dark and we quietly sing ‘Auld Lang Syne.’ It is a nice, low-key, rather muted end to the thing.”
“Downton Abbey” Season 6, its final season, premieres on PBS Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016, at 9 p.m. EST.