Theodor Seuss Geisel, known best as the acclaimed Dr. Seuss, would have celebrated his 108th birthday today. The author died at the age of 87 on Sept. 24, 1991.
The celebrated writer, poet and cartoonist was widely recognized for his bestselling children's books Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Horton Hears a Who and The Lorax, among others.
Although Dr. Seuss was best known for writing children's books, many of his works addressed political issues of the time. The Lorax commented on environmental issues and conservation, The Sneetches addressed racism and The Butter Battle Book tackled the arms race.
Whether writing whimsical rhymes for children or portraying political opinions through allegories, Dr. Seuss was able to inspire children and adults alike.
Take a look at some of Dr. Seuss' funniest and most inspirational quotes.
1. A person's a person, no matter how small.
2. Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
3. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
4. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.
5. I meant what I said and I said what I meant.
6. I'm glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone.
7. If I were invited to a dinner party with my characters, I wouldn't show up.
8. In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!
9. Poor empty pants with nobody inside them.
10. So the writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads.
11. Today is your day, your mountain is waiting. So get on your way.
12. Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.
13. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
14. You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.