Dylan O’Brien’s injuries from a stunt gone wrong on the set of “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” may have been due to a lack of training. At least that’s what a report from WorkSafeBC says. The Canadian workers’ compensation insurer states that he didn’t receive much preparation before attempting the stunt that left him with severe injuries.
The WorkSafeBC report, which was obtained by the Globe and Mail of Toronto, states that O’Brien got “minimal instruction” before doing a stunt that involved him going between two moving vehicles. It also accuses filmmakers of using a safety lanyard that was too short, “resulting in Mr. O’Brien being pulled off the front vehicle and then being suspended above the ground between the two.”
Twentieth Century Fox doesn’t believe the report is entirely accurate, and it is working with the workers’ compensation insurer to fix it. “While we don’t agree with all of the findings of the inspection report, we deeply regret that this terrible accident occurred and the serious injuries it caused to Dylan O’Brien,” Chris Petrikin, 20th Century Fox’s executive vice-president and chief communications, told the Globe and Mail. “We have been working with WorkSafeBC to try and correct some inaccuracies in the inspection report and appreciate WorkSafe’s willingness to discuss our concerns.”
As previously reported, the “Teen Wolf” actor was injured while filming “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” in March. An earlier WorkSafeBC report (via the Hollywood Reporter) revealed he suffered a “concussion, facial fracture and lacerations.” Filming was originally postponed until May, but O’Brien was still not entirely healed. The third installment in 20th Century Fox’s sci-fi franchise does not have a date scheduled to return to filming, but the release date was moved from Feb. 17, 2017 to Jan. 12, 2018.
The 24-year-old actor does seem to be recovering, though. He is in talks to star in another action franchise, “American Assassin,” which will film this summer.