The first week of June was an exciting one for the box office. “The Fault Of Our Stars,” starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgory, opened with over $25 million Friday night. By Sunday morning the film had accumulate nearly $50 million after its first week in theaters nationwide, Deadline.com reported.
Disney’s “Maleficent” took the second spot, raking in a cool $33.6 million by Sunday. The Angelina Joilie adaptation of the children’s classic beat out Warner Bros.’ “Edge of Tomorrow.” The action packed film earned $29.1 million. The movie, which also stars Emily Blunt, could be considered a dud when compared to Cruises’ “Oblivion,” which opened at $37 million in April and went on to gain $137 million internationally.
But the studio still stands behind “Edge of Tomorrow” and says audiences will flock to theaters in the upcoming weeks. “Audiences who see this movie, love it,” Jeff Goldstein, EVP Distribution at the studio, said, as quoted by Deadline.com. “And if you look around the world this weekend, we’re No. 1 with $111M globally. We’re confident that it’s going to have legs. The reviews are strong, Rotten Tomatoes is 89 percent fresh and the ‘liked it’ category is 92 percent. Audiences clearly enjoy it.”
To celebrate “The Fault in Our Stars” taking the No. 1 spot this weekend, some of the most heart wrenchingly awesome quotes from the soon-to-be summer classic have been provided below. It’s a stark contrast from previous articles on Woodley, who made inflammatory comments about feminism.
The quotes provided below, however, can be credited to John Green and his popular young adult novel, which is based on two cancer-stricken teenagers who fall in love. Parade provided some of the most beautiful statements from the film, and warned even those who have not yet read the novel or seen the movie might need the assistance of some tissues to dry their soggy cheeks.
1. “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.”
2. “I will not tell you our love story, because — like all real love stories — it will die with us, as it should.”
3. “Oh, I wouldn’t mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.”
4. “It is the nature of stars to cross.”
5. “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
6. “I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.”
7. “You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice.”
8. “The world is not a wish-granting factory.”
9. “There is no shortage of fault to be found amid our stars.”
10. “Our fearlessness shall be our secret weapon.”
11. “All your attempts to save yourself from me will fail.”
12. “Only now that I loved a grenade did I understand the foolishness of trying to save others from my own impending fragmentation: I couldn’t unlove Augustus Waters. And I didn’t want to.”
13. “You say you’re not special because the world doesn’t know about you, but that’s an insult to me. I know about you.”
14. “You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”
15. “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella