“Game of Thrones” is one of the biggest productions in the history of television, so a behind the scene look into the filming of Season 5 -- before the premiere on April 12 -- promised to be a treat. That’s just what fans got Sunday with the premiere of the HBO special “Game of Thrones: A Day In The Life,” which took viewers through one long day of the show’s production in three countries.
Here are seven things we learned from the “Day in the Life” special:
- The gardens of the Alcázar Palace, a popular tourist destination in Seville, Spain, were rented out to the show exclusively for three days. The site will be featured as part of the city of Dorne, a new location in the series.
- One of the biggest challenges during the filming for the show is maintaining continuity. Some scenes involving Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) were filmed in both Croatia and Spain and the makeup artists in both locations sent pictures back and forth to make sure Clarke’s makeup matched.
- Another challenge? Some locations, such as the Alcázar Palace in Spain, were not accessible by car, so equipment for filming needed to be carried in by the crew or lifted in by a crane.
- 86,000 people applied to be an extra for Season 5 from countries as far as South Africa. The show ended up using over 5,000.
- A dialogue coach is always on set to help the actors with the show’s fictional foreign languages, such as Daenerys’ Valyrian.
- Season 5 was shot over 120 days, a mammoth amount of time for a television season. Since the show is always using two production units, filming in two separate countries simultaneously, the show’s producers considered the season’s production to effectively constitute 240 days of filming.
- Fans got a sneak peek at a scene from Season 5 premiere featuring Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey). In the scene, Cersei spends some time in the poorer parts of King’s Landing getting exposed to a side of the city she has never seen and meeting a new character, the High Sparrow, played by Jonathan Pryce (“Pirates of the Caribbean”).
What did you think of the “Day in the Life” special? Tweet your thoughts to @Ja9GarofaloTV.