The controversial boxing match between George Zimmerman, killer of Trayvon Martin, and DMX has officially been canceled.
The fight’s promoter, Damon Feldman, told Radar Online that he decided not to go through with the match.
“I want nothing to do with it. It’s my decision to cancel the fight. After I saw my son and daughter today I really thought about what happened. I had a change of heart,” he said. “I could have made $2 million here, but there’s too much controversy and death threats and more.”
The match was tentatively scheduled for March 1. It was going to be able to be viewed exclusively online and on Pay Per View. On Friday, DMX revealed that he had indeed been challenged to the fight but had not yet committed to it.
Zimmerman was acquitted last year of second-degree murder charges in the 2012 killing of the teenage Martin in Sanford, Fla. He claimed self-defense.
Treye Green is a reporter for The International Business Times and a recent graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Green has shot, edited and...