“The Good Wife” Season 5 ended in May, leaving fans with some serious plot points to mull over during the summer. Fortunately the wait is almost over. Season 6 of the hit CBS series premieres Sunday, and we’ve got the scoop on what you need to know before the new season kicks off.
1. Season 6 Premiere Synopsis – “The Good Wife” will definitely return with a bang. The premiere episode is titled “The Line,” and will find Alicia (Julianna Margulies) sticking to her guns about refusing to run for state’s attorney. The only problem? Eli (Alan Cumming) is trying to persuade her to launch a campaign. The synopsis teases that episode 1 will also find Dianne considering a position as partner at Florrick Agos, and that an “internal crisis threatens to destroy the firm.”
2. Lingering From Season 5 – Remember when Cary (Matt Czuchry) overheard Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) tell Diane (Christine Baranski) that she was using Cary for intel? Well, that’s not going to be swept under the rug in Season 6.
“The bottom line is, none of that is forgotten,” creator Robert King told TV Line.
As mentioned in the synopsis, Eli’s desire for Alicia to run for state’s attorney will also carry over from Season 5. Alicia has one person on her side – Peter (Chris Noth). But Peter won’t be supporting her decision for long – according to TV Guide, a “major revelation” will change his mind.
3. Welcome Back – A couple of familiar faces will be returning to “The Good Wife” this fall. Kyle MacLachlan will reprise his role as attorney Josh Perotti, and Carrie Preston will also find her way back on screen as attorney Elsbeth Tascioni, a role that won her an Emmy.
4. Guest Stars – “The Good Wife” will welcome a handful of new faces to its sixth season. Taye Diggs of “Private Practice” will appear in multiple episodes as Dean Levine-Wilkins, a “meticulous and talented equity partner at Lockhart Gardner” who jumps ship to Florrick Agos. According to Deadline, Steven Pasquale of “Rescue Me” will guest star as Elfman, “one of the top campaign managers in the country who Eli Gold is trying to convince to run Alicia’s possible campaign.” David Hyde Pierce of “Frasier” will be featured in a recurring role as a cable news legal commentator who decides to run for office after being “disgusted by the corruption and murder rate in Chicago.” Meanwhile, Connie Nielsen of “The Following” will play an attorney named Ramona who has connections in Cook County.
5. Gloria Steinem – Longtime feminist leader Gloria Steinem deserves her own section apart from “The Good Wife” Season 6 guest stars. Steinem will appear in an episode as herself. No other details have been released.
6. Episode 1 “U-Turn” – Expect some twists in the premiere episode. Christine Baranski told E! Online that fans will experience an unexpected “U-turn” in the first episode. “It’s great,” she revealed. “These writers are so skilled at coming at stories from an angle that you’re not anticipating and they’re really extraordinary writers.”
7. Episode 2 Scoop – A homeless character named Gunter will reportedly appear in Episode 2. TV Line teases that he has the potential to become a recurring character in Season 6.
“The Good Wife” Season 6 will premiere on CBS on Sunday, Sept. 21, at 9 p.m. EDT. Will you be watching? Tweet your thoughts to @AmandaTVScoop.