This weekend, there's a little something extra to be happy about. Happiness Happens Day, a holiday about telling the world you're feeling good, takes place Saturday.
The holiday was started in 1999 by the Secret Society of Happy People and was originally called "Admit You're Happy Day." Over time, the holiday morphed into Happiness Happens Day, but its message remained the same. It aims to spread joy and to persuade people to have a positive outlook.
— LG UAE (@LGGulf) August 7, 2015
The Secret Society of Happy People wrote on its website that there isn't one exact recipe for being happy but instead claimed 31 different types of happiness. "Sometimes happiness is the relief and satisfaction we get when we finish cleaning the kitchen," the site reads. "Sometimes, it’s watching a child or pet do something that amuses us. Or sometimes it’s obvious, like going to a party. But, ultimately, happiness is around us and it’s up to us to recognize it."
1. "The most important thing is to enjoy your life -- to be happy. It's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
2. "Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness." --Frank Tyger
3. “Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.” --Ernest Hemingway
4. "Summer means happy times and good sunshine. It means going to the beach, going to Disneyland, having fun." --Brian Wilson
5. “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” --John Lennon
6. “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien
7. "If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes." --Andrew Carnegie
8. "In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change lies our happiness and freedom." --Buddha
9. "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it." --Groucho Marx
10. "Happiness is a warm puppy." --Charles Schulz
11. "Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity." --Carl Jung
12. "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." --Dalai Lama
13. "Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." --Ayn Rand
14. "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." --George Burns
15. "Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination." --Mark Twain