Two blasts hit the capital city of Afghanistan, Kabul, on Tuesday, officials reportedly said. In the first attack, earlier in the day, a suicide car bomber attacked a NATO military convoy, while insurgents launched a second attack with an explosion and gunfire near a government building.
"We have reports that insurgents have entered a building," police spokesman Ebadullah Karimi said, according to Reuters. He added that the attack was close to an installation used by the National Directorate of Security (NDS), Afghanistan's intelligence agency.
@NDSAfghanistan confirms the complexe attack on an NDS facility, both suicide bombers were killed before they detonate their vests at 14h30
— NDS Afghanistan (@NDSAfghanistan) July 7, 2015
Taliban claimed responsibility for the first attack that injured at least two people. The attack happened at about around 11:30 a.m. (3 a.m. EDT) in the Shah Shaheed area of the capital, according to Karimi, CNN reported. Kabul Police Chief Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi, who was at the blast scene, told the Associated Press that one of the wounded was an Afghan civilian and the other was from the convoy.
Police said that a convoy carrying international advisers was the target, according to Al Jazeera. Brian Tribus, a spokesman for the Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan, which is led by the NATO, reportedly said the officials were collecting more information on the attack.
The two blasts come a week after Taliban launched a car bomb attack on NATO soldiers killing two Afghan civilians and injuring 26 others, Al Jazeera reported. According to NATO, none of its troops were killed or injured in the attack.
Taliban insurgents have increased the attacks in various parts of the country after NATO forces pulled out of the country last year. About 9,800 U.S. troops still remain in Afghanistan and are training Afghan forces, Reuters reported.