It’s been more than 20 years since the death of former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, who is also affectionately known as Jackie O. The Kennedys are the closest thing America has to a royal family, and many looked up to her as a style setter. Kennedy Onassis was buried next to President John F. Kennedy's gravesite at the Arlington National Cemetery, which is marked by an eternal flame, after she died from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma on May 19, 1994. She was 64.
Fashion aside, Kennedy Onassis was also known for her thought-provoking quotes. To celebrate the former FLOTUS, some of her memorable sayings have been posted below, courtesy of Goodreads and BrainyQuote.
1. “If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much.”
2. “One must not let oneself be overwhelmed by sadness.”
3. “I am a woman above everything else.”
4. “The first time you marry for love, the second for money, and the third for companionship.”
5. “The children have been a wonderful gift to me, and I'm thankful to have once again seen our world through their eyes. They restore my faith in the family's future.”
6. “Now, I think that I should have known that he was magic all along. I did know it -- but I should have guessed that it would be too much to ask to grow old with and see our children grow up together. So now, he is a legend when he would have preferred to be a man.”
7. “Whenever I was upset by something in the papers, Jack always told me to be more tolerant, like a horse flicking away flies in the summer.”
8. “There are two kinds of women, those who want power in the world and those who want power in bed.”
9. “Once you can express yourself, you can tell the world what you want from it. ... All the changes in the world, for good or evil, were first brought about by words.”
10. “If you cut people off from what nourishes them spiritually, something in them dies.”
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella