President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for defense secretary, retired Marine Gen. James “Mad Dog” Mattis, is known as a straight-talking military man, pithy when he wants to be.
He once said was asked to tone down his rhetoric after a 2005 appearance in San Diego.
"Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight," the Los Angeles Times quoted him as saying. "You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up-front with you. I like brawling.
"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."
In speeches, he’s known to quote Shakespeare and Greek poets along with traditional military thinkers.
Here are some other notable remarks from the man also known as the “Warrior Monk”:
- “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” — San Diego Union Tribune
- “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f--- with me, I’ll kill you all.” — San Diego Union Tribune
- “There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” — San Diego Union Tribune
- “The most important 6 inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” — San Diego Union Tribune
- “I don’t lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word.” — San Diego Union Tribune.
- “You are part of the world’s most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.” — Letter to 1st Marine Division
- “No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it['s] over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.” — Defense News
- “You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” — San Diego Union Tribune
- “I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” — San Diego Union Tribune
- “Demonstrate to the world there is ‘no better friend, no worse enemy’ than a U.S. Marine.” — Letter to 1st Marine Division
- “Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit” — Letter to 1st Marine Division