The chances of Johnny Manziel ever becoming a successful NFL quarterback are getting slimmer by the day. The latest report claims the Cleveland Browns signal caller hit and threatened his ex-girlfriend last week, leaving his future in doubt.
Cleveland is almost certain to release Manziel this offseason, following a statement by director of football operations Sashi Brown that condemned the 23-year-old’s recent actions off the field. Even if Manziel gets picked up by another team, he might not be available to start the 2016 season.
Manziel has not been charged with any crime, and police have closed their case regarding a possible assault. Based on recent NFL rulings, Manziel would likely face a four-game suspension if he was found to be guilty in a domestic violence incident. But the league could still punish Manziel, even if he doesn’t get into any legal trouble.
Earlier this season, Denver Broncos safety T.J. Ward was suspended for Week 1 because of an incident from 2014 in which charges were later dropped. Manziel has been involved in two incidents with his ex-girlfriend, including one from October, and commissioner Roger Goodell could still suspend him for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.
Chances of Jerry Jones signing Johnny Manziel further reduced as chance of #NFL suspension increases with public details of incident
— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) February 4, 2016
With rumors that Cleveland would likely release Manziel, there had been reports that Dallas owner Jerry Jones was interested in bringing the quarterback to the Cowboys. But the organization is reportedly uninterested in signing the troubled two-year player.
According to those closest to Manziel, the quarterback needs to fix his life before he can get back on the field. Paul Manziel, Johnny’s father, told The Dallas Morning News that he believes his son is suicidal, and he was unsuccessful in his attempts to have the former first-round draft pick committed to a rehab facility.
"We'll do anything we can to help him [Manziel] personally," Browns owner Jimmy Haslam told ESPN Cleveland. "And our thoughts and prayers are with Johnny and his family. We're not worried about Johnny Manziel the football player. We're worried about Johnny Manziel the person. ... I think it's a personal issue now. It's not a football issue."
The number of Manziel’s off-the-field issues continues to pile up. At the end of last season, Manziel was fined by the Browns after hosting a party before the team’s final game. He entered rehab in February of 2015, and admitted to drinking alcohol when he was pulled over in October after having an argument with his girlfriend. He didn’t play in Week 17 because of a concussion, but he was reportedly spotted partying in Las Vegas on the night before the Browns’ game.
On Friday, Manziel’s agent announced that he is no longer working for the quarterback. Manziel won the Heisman Trophy as a freshman, but he hasn’t had much success in the NFL. He’s played in 14 games, posting a 74.4 passer rating.