The past year has been quite the whirlwind for Kate Middleton. From the birth of her first child with Prince William to the continued obsession with her effortless style, she continues to etch her place into American pop culture.
But how much do you really know about the British phenom that is Kate Middleton? In honor of her 32nd birthday today, we've gathered 32 interesting facts to know about the Duchess of Cambridge.
1. She graduated with a Master of Arts from the University of Saint Andrews, says Celebuzz.
2. Her nickname in tabloids was “Waitey Katey.”
3. Her father was a pilot.
4. Her mother was an airline stewardess.
5. She is also related to general George S. Patton.
6. Kate is six months older than Prince William.
7. William and Kate are 12th cousins once removed.
8. She is eighth cousin to George Washington.
9. Kate actually prefers to be called Catherine.
10. Kate set a high jump record in school.
11. Kate is allergic to horses.
12. Kate is quite the tennis player.
13. Kate attended an English language nursery school in Amman, Jordan, before moving back to Berkshire with her family.
14. Kate’s sapphire and diamond engagement ring was presented to Lady Di by Prince Charles.
15. Her parents are the creators and owners of a highly successful party supply company.
16. Kate once took a position as an accessories buyer with clothing chain Jigsaw.
17. Kate is the oldest of three children. Her brother is James and her sister is "Pippa"
18. Kate has four Scotland Yard bodyguards to protect her at all times.
19. As a child, Kate was a Brownie in Girl Scouts.
20. Kate is from Reading, England, in the United Kingdom, says Biography.com.
21. Kate's full name is Catherine Elizabeth Middleton.
22. Kate first caught Prince William's attention during a 2002 fundraiser fashion show that she participated in.
23. During the show, she wore a sheer dress that led to her capturing Prince Williams' eye unlike before.
23. Celebbuzz says that the dress became worth $160K after she wed Prince William. It cost only $40 to make.
24. Kate had a boyfriend before Prince William. But they broke up due to distance issues.
25. Kate and William began dating in 2003.
26. On November 16, 2010, Middleton and Prince William announced their engagement.
27. On December 3, 2012, St. James Palace officially announced that Kate was pregnant.
28. When she married Prince William, Kate was the oldest bride in history to marry a future king.
29. Kate's sister Philippa Charlotte "Pippa" Middleton is two years younger than she is.
30. Kate played field hockey in college.
31. Kate's brother James William Middleton is 26 years old.
32. Kate and William were good friends before they started dating.