Lamar Odom is lucky to be alive nearly three months after overdosing on what appeared to be a toxic mixture of illegal drugs and herbal Viagra. The incident occurred inside Love Ranch South in Pahrump, Nevada. It was initially believed that Odom, 36, may be facing drug charges after the incident, but new reports suggest he will be getting off scot-free.
According to E! Online, the former Los Angeles Lakers player will not face charges in the case. A spokesperson for the Nye county District Attorney told the publication that while it was proved that Odom had cocaine in his system, it would be difficult to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that he ingested the drug while in Nye County. The source said he was not found with cocaine in his possession which further complicates the case.
"Evidence showed Mr. Odom had metabolized cocaine in his system while he was present in Nye County in October of 2015, he was not found in the possession of cocaine and it is unlikely it could established beyond a reasonable doubt he actually ingested, or was impaired by, the drug during the time he was within the jurisdiction of Nye County," the D.A.'s spokesperson said.
Odom can now shift gears, making a full recovery his main priority. He has made incredible strides since awaking from his coma on Oct. 16. The former NBA great was photographed on New Year's Eve for the first time since his hospitalization in October. The photo was taken by Odom's teenage son Lamar Odom Jr. and also featured his older daughter Destiny Odom. Although only a fraction of Lamar's face could be seen in the photo it appeared that he was in good health.
The incident in question took place on Oct. 13, 2015 inside a legal brothel owned by Dennis Hoff. Odom was found unconscious inside one of the brothel's many rooms. He is said to have had a mixture of blood and mucus coming from his nose and mouth. An employee at the facility called 911, telling them she was unsure if he was breathing at the time. Odom was rushed to a local hospital where he was evaluated and moved to Sunrise Hospital. In the days that followed the outlook of those treating Odom went from grim to hopeful as he began showing small, but important, signs of improvement. On Oct. 16 it was reported that his heart was functioning "much better" than it had been upon his admission to the hospital. Doctors suggested that Odom's room should be free of too many visitors to help him remain "calm." That same day he reportedly opened his eyes. By Oct. 21, 2015 he was moved back to L.A. to Cedars Sinai Medical Center for further observation. He has since been released.