Arsenal could soon be welcoming two potential stars to the club, while one of their own youngsters could be heading out on loan. After a disappointing start to the season, where clear gaps in their squad were exposed, Arsenal are set for a busy January transfer window. The activity has already begun, with Lukas Podolski completing a loan move to Inter Milan for the rest of the season. And more transfers could soon be forthcoming.
Arsenal have had a second bid of £1.6 million rejected by Legia Warsaw for 17-year-old midfielder Krystian Bielik, according to The Guardian and other outlets. Already over 6-feet tall and able to both tackle and pass from a deep midfield position, it is easy to see why Bielik might appeal to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. And it seems likely that Arsenal will eventually get their man. With injuries currently ruling out Mikel Arteta, Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey, Wenger has already revealed that his priority is to bolster his midfield options in this month’s transfer window. There is little prospect, though, of Bielik making an immediate impression on the first team.
The same is true of another midfielder Arsenal are currently trailing, the much in-demand Martin Odegaard. The 16-year-old became the youngest player in the history of the European Championship when appearing for Norway last October and he has since been touring Europe’s major clubs, including reportedly training with Arsenal last month, as he weighs up his next move. Norwegian journalist Marius Skelbaek has stated that he now expects Odegaard to leave Norwegian club Stromsgodest in January. While Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are said to be at the front of the queue and a transfer to the Netherlands is also possible, Arsenal remain a potential destination.
“It is possible he will move to England,” Skelbaek told Sky Sports. “He has been visiting all the big clubs in the Premier League. He is a big Liverpool fan. They are his and his father’s favorite club. So who knows? Maybe he could sign for Arsenal, Liverpool, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid.”
Meanwhile, a player still striving to realize his potential at the Emirates Stadium is poised to leave on a short-term basis. Yaya Sanogo has scored just once since arriving from Auxerre in the summer of 2013 and has found his opportunities further limited this season by the signings of Danny Welbeck and Alexis Sanchez and return from loan of Joel Campbell.
“Sanogo is in search of experience at the top level in the premier league,” Wenger said on Sunday. “He is ready to play, but we have so many options up front that it’s difficult for him to play.”
And Bordeaux believe that the 21-year-old is keen on a short-term return to French football. “Sanogo has chosen Bordeaux,” president Jean-Louis Triaud told Gold FM. “We expect a response from Arsenal on Tuesday or Wednesday.”
That response may well be a negative one, however, with Wenger at the weekend repeating his desire for Sanogo to get his experience in England. “Personally I have said that may times, I prefer the Premier League,” he added after the FA Cup win over Hull City.