Liverpool Transfer News: Ince, Granqvist And Diakite Involved In Latest Speculation

 @JasonLeMiere
on January 10 2013 3:37 PM
Brendan Rodgers
Brendan Rodgers may well be getting frustrated with Liverpool's inability so far to add to the signing of Daniel Sturridge this month. Reuters

The status of Liverpool’s attempt to sign Blackpool winger Tom Ince still appears uncertain. The 20-year-old was reported to have been poised to complete a £6 million return to the club he left in the summer of 2011, but it later turned out that Liverpool’s bid had been turned down by the Championship club.

Earlier this week, the Daily Mail reported that there had been a breakthrough in negotiations, although there has yet to be any further comment from either club.

England Under-21 international Ince has spoken, though, and has claimed that he is fully focused on Blackpool.

“I’m a Blackpool player, I’m contracted to Blackpool and I’ll continue to give 100 per cent for this team,” he said, according to the Sun.

“I don’t only do it for myself and for the fans but I do it for my team-mates.

“These lads are a great bunch of lads. The team spirit in this team is fantastic.”

Paul Ince, former Liverpool midfielder and father of Tom, has also cooled talk of a move to Liverpool this week.

"There's been a lot of press saying he's going to Liverpool," he told Sky Sports. "Not at one time has he said Liverpool - not at one time has Thomas said he wants to leave Blackpool.

"I just feel that he's ready for the Premier League. Whether that means he's going to go in January, or it means he's going to go at the end of the season or the season after, who knows?

"I think he's ready to go and play in the Premier League but I don't want Thomas going to a Premier League club and not playing football because they will just stunt his development.

"Wherever he goes he has to have the chance of being involved and getting game-time.

"If you say Liverpool, you say Man United or you say Barcelona—I don't want him going to those clubs if he's not going to play football.

"For me, he might as well stay at Blackpool and keep playing week in and week out."

While the saga over Ince drags on, there would appear to be developments in Liverpool’s interest in two central defenders. According to Metro, the Reds are close to securing a deal to take Lazio’s Modibo Diakite to Anfield when his contract expires in the summer.

It is reported that Liverpool had talks with the player before the New Year and further negotiations this week could finalize the pre-contract agreement for the 25-year-old.

Liverpool were also believed to be pursuing Genoa defender Andreas Granqvist. The former Wigan man has said that he is eager to move onto a club that can offer a place in European competition, however, the Sweden international has now revealed that Dynamo Kiev have opened talks over a deal.

"I am happy in Genoa, but it is no secret that I would like to play for a club who play in the Champions League or Europa League,” the 27-year-old said, according to Sky Sports.

"I know that Dynamo Kiev and Genoa have been negotiating."

Share this article