Syfy just conjured up a new TV series. And, according to reports, “The Magicians” will leave audiences hypnotized when Season 1 of the mystical storyline continues on Monday. (The fantasy drama first aired its premiere in December 2015.) But before you tune into both episode 1 and episode 2 of the enchanted installment, there’s a few things you should know about the spellbinding series …
1. Based on Lev Grossman’s Same Name Novel
“The Magicians” is a fantasy novel that was first published by Grossman in 2009. The best-selling author continued the supernatural storyline with the sequel “The Magician King” in 2011 and then “The Magician’s Land” in 2014 before the trilogy was adapted into a television series by Syfy.
2. Series vs. the Book
Although creators Sera Gamble and John McNamara are “mega fans” of the series, according to Grossman, those who read the triology will notice a few tweaks within the plot of “The Magicians.”
- The characters will be a “few years older,” the author revealed. Instead of being college students, the characters will be entering their first year of graduate school.
- Julia’s (Stella Maeve) back story will be introduced sooner in the TV series than in the book.
- Janet will be known as Margo (Summer Bishil) in the TV adaptation.
- Penny (Arjun Gupta) will have an edgier twist.
3. "Harry Potter" Fans, Rejoice!
Hale Appleman, who plays Eliot, explained to E! News that if you’re a fan of J.K. Rowling’s work you’ll also enjoy “The Magicians.”
"Anyone who's loved fantasy as a kid and has then grown up and longed for that idea, but has also been met with the challenges of the real world. I think that it's really appropriate," the actress explained. "I think anyone who has loved 'Harry Potter' but perhaps is now a little more mature and taking on some of life challenges, I think it's a perfect fit."
4. Dark and Edgy
Maeve promised that the upcoming series would have a “dark edge” — and she wasn’t kidding! The new drama features levitating wizard sex, drugs and murder. Yeah ... we'll definitely be tuning in.
“The Magicians” will air on Monday, Jan. 25, at 9 p.m. EST on Syfy.