The agent of young Austrian defender Martin Hinteregger has confirmed Manchester United’s interest in the player, but says that any move will not happen until the end of the season. United are one of a number of clubs linked to the Red Bull Salzburg 21-year-old in recent times and Hinteregger recently revealed he was flattered to be on United’s radar.

The center-back broke in the Salzburg team in 2010 and made his debut for Austria in Tuesday’s friendly against the United States, when his side kept a clean sheet. His agent Frank Schreier revealed there is much interest in his services.

“Looking ahead to next season there is interest from several clubs in Italy and England,” he said, according to TalkSport. “Thinking about this topic, his future will be in the Premier League or Serie A.

"For the January transfer market we have totally ruled out his departure. Options? I know Manchester United, Juventus and Lazio are interested."

Meanwhile, Manchester United have been cited as one of the clubs keeping close tabs on Torino winger Alessio Cerci. The 26-year-old has had a stunning start to the Serie A season, netting eight goals in 12 appearances and providing a further three assists. The likes of Arsenal and Liverpool have also been linked and the Daily Mirror claims that a number of Premier League scouts were in attendance at Fulham’s Craven Cottage on Monday when Cerci was a second-half substitute in Italy’s friendly draw with Nigeria. Torino president Urbano Cairo, though, claims to have received no approach from any British club and that the player will be staying put, at least until the end of the season.

"I haven't received any calls from England for Cerci, even if I read in the newspapers that there is interest from Britain," Cairo told TuttoMercatoWeb. "As far as I am concerned, there's no truth to it. Will he stay in January? Of course!"

Meanwhile, the Daily Star believes that Manchester United were interested in boosting their central midfield with a move for Xabi Alonso. The Spain international’s contract at Real Madrid is set to expire at the end of the season and, according to the report, United already held talks about the former Liverpool man joining on a free transfer. That unlikely proposition may soon be able to be ruled out completely, though, with Spanish sports daily Marca reporting that the 31-year-old is on the verge of agreeing a new deal at the Bernabeu. In other news, the Daily Mirror has reported that Manchester United missed out on the opportunity to sign Alexis Sanchez. The assertion comes on the back of Sanchez’s two-goal match-winning performance for Chile against England last week. United are said to have met with Sanchez ahead of a proposed £27 million deal, but dallied too long and eventually Barcelona secured the forward’s signature in 2011.

According to the Mirror, United were offered the chance to sign Sanchez last summer too, after his disappointing first season at the Camp Nou. Then manager Sir Alex Ferguson opted against the move, however, as he set his sights on Robin van Persie.

Follow Jason Le Miere on Twitter