Manchester United Transfer News: Ronaldo, Kaka, Zaha And Quintero Involved In Latest Speculation

 @JasonLeMiere on January 17 2013 12:57 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo recently said that he plans to see out his contract at Real Madrid. Reuters

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has refused to be drawn over recent speculation linking Cristiano Ronaldo with a return to Old Trafford.

There have been reports in recent weeks that Ronaldo will refuse to sign a new contract at Madrid, following his claims earlier this season that he was unhappy with the club. With the 27-year-old having repeatedly spoken of his affection for United and manager Sir Alex Ferguson, it has been claimed that he could move back to the club which he left in a record £80 million deal in 2009.

But Gill has been coy over such talk, instead focusing on Ronaldo’s brief return when Manchester United meet Real Madrid in the Champions League last-16 tie next month.

“He is a brilliant player but he is contracted for the next two-and-a-half years at Madrid,” he told Sky Sports News.

"We are looking forward to welcoming him back, he will get a great reception at Old Trafford in early March and that is all we have got to say."

There has also been talk this week of Manchester United’s interest in another Madrid star. Citing a story from Spanish publication El Economista, the Daily Express reports that Kaka could have his contract terminated at the Bernabeu this month, with both United and Chelsea interested in securing the Brazilian on a free transfer.

Kaka, 30, remains on a huge salary following his £56 million move from Milan in 2009. However, injuries have seen Kaka play a limited role for Madrid and it has been widely reported that the club would like to move him on.

While several clubs were linked to the player this summer, none were willing to match his wages at Madrid. It still appears unlikely that an agreement will be reached to write off the remainder of his contract

Perhaps more of a possibility is that Kaka will be allowed to leave on loan. Italian publication La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that Kaka’s agents have met with Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani about a short-term deal until the end of the season.

Kaka has said that he would be open to the deal.

“To come back to Milan, I am ready to do anything,” he told Sky Italia.

"It's not a good situation for me at Real Madrid. I have already asked Milan to find a solution because during my time with Milan I enjoyed some of the best moments of my life."

There have reportedly been developments in Manchester United’s attempts to bring Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha to the club. David Gill has confirmed that they are interested in the 20-year-old amid claims that a bid of £6 million, potentially rising to £12 million with add-ons, has been lodged.

That looks set to prove unsuccessful, with the Daily Mail stating that Palace have told United to increase their offer. United could face competition for the England international’s signature, with Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger revealing his interest in the player.

A new name linked with the Premier League leaders is Pescara’s Juan Quintero. The Colombian midfielder, currently on loan from Ateltico Nacional, has impressed in Serie A and TalkSport reports that he has garnered the interest of United.

Quintero, 19, has said, however, that he would prefer to stay in Italy and move to Internazionale.

"United? No, I like Inter," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I prefer the Nerazzurri because they have a lot of South Americans at the club. And I'm happy in Italy.

"Saying that, it is clear that I would not turn down other strong teams because I'm ambitious. Manchester, Milan and Juventus [are all options].

"I'll decide with my family and with my agent."

Join the Discussion