The contradictory reports about Wilfried Zaha’s potential move to Manchester United continue to emerge. It had been claimed earlier in the week that United had an offer of £6 million, potentially rising to £12 million, already been rejected by Crystal Palace.
The Independent, though, reports on Friday that just one bid has been made, of £5 million, with an extra £5 million in potential add-ons. It is believed that Palace are still mulling over the offer, which is the only formal bid but one that falls short of their £12 million valuation.
United chief executive David Gill recently confirmed their interest in the highly-rated winger, although said that, even if a deal were to go through, he would remain at Palace for the remainder of the season. Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has also revealed his interest in Zaha, but claimed that they have not yet made a bid for the 20-year-old.
United’s negotiating position would be significantly strengthened if they are the only bidders. Zaha is believed to be eager to move on in order to further his career and likely his England prospects. The player made his debut for England last November.
Meanwhile, it is being reported that Manchester United still hold an interest in Internazionale attacking midfielder Wesley Sneijder.
Galatasaray have confirmed that they have had a €7.5million (£6.2m) offer accepted by Inter and have a contract offer worth €5.5million (£4.6m) a year on the table to Sneijder.
The 28-year-old is still thought to be holding out for a move to the Premier League, however. According to the Guardian, United, who have been long-linked to Sneijder, as well as Liverpool, are hoping that the Netherlands international will lower his wage demands in order to make a deal happen.
While they continue to be linked, it would still be regarded as a significant surprise were Sneijder to arrive at Old Trafford. United’s strategy is based around securing young talent and in the summer they captured the 23-year-old Shinji Kagawa, who occupies the same position as Sneijder.
An even younger creative midfielder, Christian Eriksen, is said to be on Manchester United’s radar. As in every transfer window in the past two years, reports have claimed that United are keen to sign the 20-year-old Denmark international.
But Ajax are determined to keep hold of Eriksen, who has been linked with the great and the good of Europe in his short career. With Eriksen’s current contract set to expire in the summer of 2014, Ajax have now opened negotiations about a new deal.
"I hope he wants to stay at Ajax,” said the Dutch club’s manager Frank de Boer, according to TalkSport.
One 20-year-old that is currently at Manchester United is Ghana international forward Jeff Schlupp. United have taken the player on trial from Championship side Leicester City with a view to a permanent deal, according to the Independent.
Born in Germany, but having moved to England when he was young, Schlupp scored a hat-trick on his debut for Leicester last season before undergoing knee surgery. United have a good relationship with Leicester having loaned them several young players in recent seasons.
Sports reporter, mainly focusing on my native sport of soccer, but also dabbling in some tennis and Formula One.