The United States is set Monday to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the holiday honoring the civil rights leader. Decades after his death, King's words continue to ring true for many people across the country and the world.
In fact, in the last year alone more than 1 million tweets were posted quoting King, according to Twitter. Listed below, via USA Today, Brainy Quote, the Deseret News and the King Center, are 21 inspiring quotes from the civil rights leader to help honor Martin Luther King Jr. on MLK Day 2016:
— Good Morning America (@GMA) January 15, 2016
1. "The time is always right to do what is right."
2. "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "
3. "Mankind must put and end to war or war will put an end to mankind."
4. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
5. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
6. "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend."
7. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
8. "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
9. "We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right."
10. "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
11. "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."
12. "What is wrong in the world today is that the nations of the world are engaged in a bitter, colossal contest for supremacy."
13. "Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a constant attitude."
14. "We must all learn to live together as brothers -- or we will all perish together as fools."
15. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
16. "A riot is the language of the unheard."
17. "I have a dream that one day right there in Alabama little black boys and little black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers."
18. "We will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream."
19. "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
20. "If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
21. "The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people."