Fifty-two women compete for the Miss America crown, but only one can walk away the winner. The 2016 competition kicked off at 9 p.m. ET on ABC at Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall with co-hosts Chris Harrison and Brooke Burke-Charvet. All 52 contestants and celebrity judges – Brett Eldredge, Taya Kyle, Danica McKeller, Kevin O’Leary, Amy Purdy, Zendaya and Vanessa Williams – were introduced on stage before Chris Harrison announced the Top 15.
One contestant was chosen by America, while the remaining 14 were chosen by the judges. These are the state contestants that made the cut:
1. Miss Tennessee -- Hanna Robison *America’s Choice*
2. Miss Iowa -- Taylor Wiebers
3. Miss West Virginia -- Chelsea Malone
4. Miss South Carolina -- Daja Dial
5. Miss Florida -- Mary Katherine Fechtel
6. Miss Oklahoma -- Georgia Frazier
7. Miss Virginia -- Savannah Lane
8. Miss Alabama -- Meg McGuffin
9. Miss Colorado -- Kelley Johnson
10. Miss Louisiana -- April Nelson
11. Miss Texas -- Shannon Sanderford
12. Miss Nebraska -- Alyssa Howell
13. Miss Georgia -- Betty Cantrell
14. Miss Mississippi -- Hannah Roberts
15. Miss Arkansas -- Loren McDaniel
UPDATE: Three contestants were eliminated after the swimsuit round -- Miss Arkansas, Miss West Virginia and Miss Virginia.
UPDATE: Two more contestants were eliminated after the evening gown round -- Miss Nebraska and Miss Iowa.
UPDATE: Three more contestants were eliminated after the talent portion -- Miss Oklahoma, Miss Tennessee and Miss Florida.