If you identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, you may have concerns going into college. Will you be safe on campus? Will there be allies to help you? Will you feel included in dorms and student organizations?
At these colleges, the answer to all of those questions is yes.
The Princeton Review released Monday its annual lists of the best colleges and universities in the United States, and one of the rankings it published centered around the most LGBT-friendly schools. Sarah Lawrence College was named No. 1.
The list, which was calculated with responses from more than 140,000 students, differs a bit from others on the same topic. Campus Pride, for example, awards the LGBT-friendly title to schools like Cornell University, Elon University, Ithaca College and Macalester College — none of which were on the Princeton Review's list.
Take a look for yourself at the Princeton Review's top 10:
- Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, New York
- College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor, Maine
- Warren Wilson College in Asheville, North Carolina
- University of Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin
- Stanford University in Stanford, California
- Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa
- Emerson College in Boston
- College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia
- Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts
- Brown University in Providence
The Princeton Review also calculated the reverse, looking at institutions that aren't so friendly to LGBT students. The central question asked was "Do students, faculty and administrators treat all persons equally, regardless of their sexual orientation and gender identity/expression?"
Here are 10 colleges that didn't pass the test:
- Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois
- Hampden-Sydney College in Hampden-Sydney, Virginia
- College of the Ozarks in Point Lookout, Missouri
- Gordon College in Wenham, Massachusetts
- Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah
- Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama
- Baylor University in Waco, Texas
- Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Grove City College in Grove City, Pennsylvania
- University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Tennessee