Former first lady Nancy Reagan, known for her vocal and loyal support of her husband, 40th U.S. President Ronald Reagan, and her “Just Say No” anti-drug campaign, died at age 94 from congestive heart failure in her Bel Air, California, home Sunday.
She leaves behind an impressive legacy as one of the most visible first ladies of the last century, famous for her fashion-forward image, and an active spokesperson for the Republican party until the end of her life.
Her husband died in 2004 from Alzheimer’s disease. She is survived by by her two children, Patti Davis and Ronald Reagan Jr.
Here are 11 quotes from Nancy Reagan to honor her legacy:
- “You learn something out of everything, and you come to realize more than ever that we're all here for a certain space of time, and, and then it's going to be over, and you better make this count.”
- "There's a big, wonderful world out there for you. It belongs to you. It's exciting and stimulating and rewarding. Don't cheat yourselves out of this promise."
- “To my young friends out there: Life can be great, but not when you can't see it. So, open your eyes to life: to see it in the vivid colors that God gave us as a precious gift to His children, to enjoy life to the fullest, and to make it count. Say yes to your life.”
- “It is true that when you're in the White House alone, it is a lonely place. Big and lonely.”
- “I must say acting was good training for the political life which lay ahead for us.”
- “There is no job description for the first lady and she's only there because her husband got elected president.”
- “The movies were custard compared to politics.”
- “Feminism is the ability to choose what you want to do.”
- “My life really began when I married my husband.”
- “For eight years, I was sleeping with the president, and if that doesn't give you special access, I don't know what does!”
- “I don't talk about political matters. That's not my department.”