The annual British Fashion Awards scheduled for December 7, 2010 has an interesting mix of known and emerging designers as nominees that reads like a who's who of the British fashion world.
If the nominees on one side include pioneers of the industry of the likes of Burberry, Pringle of Scotland and Mulberry, who have reinstated their stand, there are new entrées like Mary Katrantzou, Meadham Kirchhoff and Michael van der Ham who are waiting in the wings to garner their share of attention from the media and the fashion industry.
This year's nominees are a reflection of the incredible vision and breadth of talent British designers offer, said Harold Tillman, chairman of British Fashion Council in a statement.
An interesting name that features in this year's list of designer brands is that of 'Beckham', which is a two-year old label owned by former Spice Girls-turned-designer Victoria Beckham.
'Beckham' label, which is financed by British company '19 Entertainment' that is owned by renowned artist Simon Fuller, has now been named alongside some of the other fashion heavyweights. The designer brand boasts of a long list of celebrity customers that include Sarah Jessica Parker, Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, Gwyneth Paltrow, Heidi Klum and Brooke Shields among others. Apart from ready-to-wear collection, the brand has also regrouped with its denim and eyewear subsidiary whose production is centralized in Italy.
The various nominees for this year's awards were chosen by the British Fashion Council Press Committee, which includes Lucy Yeomans, Editor of Harper's Bazaar; Alexandra Shulman, Editor of Vogue and Sarah Mower, a leading international journalist.
Following are the nominees for the British Fashion Awards 2010:
- Emerging Talent Award - Accessories: Charlotte Olympia, Husam El Odeh and Jessica McCormack.
- Emerging Talent Award - Ready to Wear: Mary Katrantzou, Meadham Kirchhoff and Michael van der Ham.
- Designer Brand: Burberry, Pringle of Scotland, Victoria Beckham and Mulberry
- Model: David Gandy, Lara Stone and Rosie Huntington - Whiteley.
- Accessory Designer: Camilla Skovgaard, Emma Hill for Mulberry and Nicholas Kirkwood.
- Menswear Designer: Christopher Bailey for Burberry, E. Tautz, Margaret Howell and Paul Smith.
- Isabella Blow Award for Fashion Creator: Nick Knight, Nicola Formichetti and Rankin.
- Designer of the Year: Christopher Kane, Erdem and Phoebe Philo for Céline.