Cincinnati fire officials say a 13-year-old boy caused $300,000 worth of fire damage in efforts of killing a beg bug inside a local apartment complex. 

The unidentified boy poured alcohol on the bug before lighting it on fire. The fire was reported to officials late Tuesday night in the 4000 block of Hawaiian Terrace and resulted in the displacement of 8 people – 5 adults and 3 children. 

"This was accidental. He wasn't in there just playing with matches. It wasn't the smartest thing, obviously, but he was trying to get rid of a bed bug," said District 3 Chief Marc Monahan in a Cincinnati Enquirer report Wednesday.

Fortunately no injuries were reported, however, a total of 6 apartments were damaged. The American Red Cross is at work to find housing for those affected. 

Bed bugs are commonly found in nursing homes, college dorms and offices according to a study by National Pest Management Association and the University of Kentucky. Though there is not a specific time bed bugs are limited to, there seemed to be a higher amount of reports during the summer time.

There are plenty of less damaging ways to exterminate bed bugs. Instead of dousing the bug with alcohol and lighting it on fire, it's important to narrow down exactly were the bugs originated from and proceed in the appropriate level of cleaning and sanitizing. Unfortunately, sometimes bed bugs can become so deeply infested that furniture may not be salvageable. If the job of exterminating become too big of a job to handle alone, call your local exterminator as soon as possible.