A student apparently committed suicide at an Oklahoma Junior High before school started, police said, the Associated Press reported. As of 11:50 a.m., the child’s name has not been released.

The unnamed student was discovered deceased with a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a gunshot was heard in the Stillwater Junior High School hallway before classes began. Police Capt. Randy Dickerson said a resource officer at the school heard the sound just before 8 a.m.

"The hallway was probably full of kids [eighth and ninth graders] that time of day," Capt.  Dickerson said.

"It doesn't appear that anyone else was in danger or threatened," he added. The AP reported that police do not believe there are any accomplices to the shooting.

Despite the police reports, classes were canceled at the junior high and a nearby elementary school, and parents were instructed to pick up their children at a nearby shopping center. The school was placed under lockdown for investigation.

A statement was apparently sent out by the school, letting parent’s know about the "single shooting incident." The notice also told parents that all students and staff were moved to a safe location.

"It's so sad that the kid lost his life, but we're just glad he didn't shoot anyone else," said Kenny Monday, who had just dropped off his son, Kennedy, before hearing about the shooting. The AP reported that Monday’s son heard, but didn’t see the shooting.

"Everyone thought it was a joke at first," ninth-grader Ashlyn Lundholm told the Stillwater NewsPress. "Then I heard people screaming. Then we went to lockdown for 35 to 40 minutes."

"I saw him on the ground," eighth-grader Aaron Veselak, who allegedly witnessed the shooting, said to Stilwater NewsPress. "There was blood all around his head."

Students affected by the shooting at the Junior High will have counselors available to them, according to Superintendent Ann Caine.

"It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of a tragic incident at our [school] this morning," Caine said in a letter to parents. "At 7:50 a.m. one of our students died as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. All other students and staff are safe."