Wow – that’s all we can say about the Season 1 finale of “The Originals.” From the first jaw-dropping scene of episode 22 to the final moment of “From a Cradle to a Grave,” Julie Plec found a way to keep us on the edge of our seats the entire time. Seriously, there were a few moments we almost fell off the couch.
Is the anticipation of what happened killing you? Well, we’ll break down the most pivotal moments from Tuesday night’s finale, including who was killed off.
1. Labor Pains – The finale began with a flashback of Hayley writing a letter to her soon-to-be-born daughter, but it quickly shifts to the present day with Klaus’ baby mama giving birth to their hybrid-baby girl. After their daughter is born, Monique walks over to Hayley and slits her throat. Yup, it’s not even five minutes into the finale and already a main character is dead – or is she?
2. Elijah Has a Meltdown – Finally, Klaus’ brother arrives to the bloody scene, only to find the love of his life dead. He drops to his knees and nearly loses it when Klaus informs him that the witches have taken the baby as their sacrifice.
The brothers race to the cemetery, which is where the coven has taken the child, only to learn that the graveyard has been turned into a maze. This frustrates Elijah, causing him to lash out at his brother. He blames him for creating a world full of enemies.
3. The Resurrection – Just as the brothers are losing hope, Hayley makes her grand return. Apparently, the mama wolf’s life was spared thanks to her baby’s blood still running through her veins, making Hayley a hybrid. She sniffs out her child’s scent, and the three find the witches already stirring up a sacrificial spell. Hayley, Elijah and Klaus prepare to attack but realize they’re outnumbered when the witches summon their ancestors.
4. Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust – Right as Monique is about to shove her dagger through the baby, Marcel shows up out of nowhere and kills the witch with the Devil’s Star, a weapon used to create 1,000 cuts with a single throw. Marcel then runs off with the baby in hopes of luring Klaus home to save his dying men. But it’s too late. Mikael has already gotten there first, sucking the vamps dry. Klaus gives Marcel blood to heal himself and Marcel gives Klaus his daughter.
5. Funeral for a Baby – After all the craziness that went down in the finale, including Genevieve’s death, "The Originals" concocted a plan that could help the baby lead a safer life… by killing her off. The strategy involved setting up a fake In Memoriam for “Baby Mikaelson” and a lot of bogus tears. Marcel even stole a stillborn from the hospital to give the funeral a final touch.
You might be wondering: “What happened to the baby then while all of them are at the Memoriam?” Well, my friends, Klaus gave the baby to the one person he trusted most in this world to keep her safe: Rebekah – or should we say Aunt Rebekah? We weren’t anticipating the blonde beauty's return for quite some time now but we couldn’t be more thrilled to see her back on the CW set.
6. What’s the Baby’s Name? – Before riding off into the sunset with the tiny bundle, Rebekah asks her brother what her niece’s name is. “Hope. Her name is Hope,” Klaus replies, causing every viewer’s knees to buckle.
What did you think of the Season 1 finale of “The Originals”? Chime in with your opinions in the comments section below and cast your prediction of what will happen next season!