A survey shows that almost 990 children were admitted to hospital for the past three years for burn treatments. Most were treated for surgery and skin grafts.

For this year alone, 115 children received burns caused by oven doors, heaters, and irons. One toddler, Jessica Rennes, was treated after she touched the door of a combustion oven at her family's home in May.

Several doctors said that the number of patients might rise this winter as heaters and fires are used to fight the harsh weather.

Dr. John Harvey, head of th eburns unit at the Children's Hospital in Westmead, said he was frightened over the increase number of injuries which could have been prevented.

“At least 20 per cent of these children have such severe burns they require skin grafts,” Dr. Harvey said.

He added that pre-toddlers and toddlers were mostly the victims of these burns.

Dr Harvey suggested that parents should lessen the use of oven door guards and cordless iron, especially for those who do not have enoough time to watch their children.

One mother narrated she installed a fire guard around the combustion heater a month ago, but her toddler sneaked in one time between the guard and the heater out of curiousity while she was out in the toilet.

Dr. Harvey said athat parents should avoid situations wherein their toddlers are at risk of being burned since toddlers cannot be stopped from being inquisitive into their surroundings.

Health Minister Carmel Tebbutt said parents should be extra-vigilant during winter to avoid accidents.