Quentin Tarantino Drops New Project ‘The Hateful Eight’ After Script Leak

on January 22 2014 7:11 AM
Quentin Tarantino
U.S. director Quentin Tarantino speaks before receiving the Prix Lumiere award during a ceremony at the 5th Festival Lumiere in Lyon, Oct.18, 2013. Reuters/Robert Pratta

Quentin Tarantino scrapped his latest project “The Hateful Eight” after it was found that the script for the upcoming film, which he had shared with six people he trusted, had got out.

The Oscar-winning filmmaker told Deadline that he feels betrayed and will not move ahead with the project as he has “no desire” to make the film anymore.

"I’m very, very depressed," Tarantino told Deadline. "I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today."

Tarantino said that he only realized that the film had been leaked when his long-time agent, Mike Simpson, got calls from other agents who were interested in pitching their clients.

Tarantino said, in his comments to Deadline, that he had given the script to Reginald Hudlin, the producer of "Django Unchained." He added that: “I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern and Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth."

He also said: “One of the others let their agent read it and that agent now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don’t know how these f***ing agents work, but I’m not making this next.”

Tarantino had announced the project in November 2013 to chat-show host Jay Leno, and he told Deadline that he would now move on to the next project he has in mind.

“I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got ten more where that came from.”