International trade within Africa is sorely lacking, and that's an arena where the African Union can make a real difference.
Articles by Jacey Fortin
- Two Years After Revolution, Whatever Happened To Libyan Oil?
May 24 2013 10:20 PM
In post-Gadhafi Libya, energy companies are struggling to gain a new foothold.
- New Cayman Government, Same Cayman Hedge Fund Rules
May 23 2013 2:24 PM
A new party is poised to take control of the elite tax haven. But business as usual is likely to go on for hedge funds based there.
- Long Lines On Top Of The World: Amateurs Invade Mount Everest
May 22 2013 5:47 AM
Traffic on Mount Everest has been building over the past few years. Today, the place is hardly recognizable.
- The Takeover: China Goes To Middle East, Bringing Lots Of Cash
May 11 2013 11:03 AM
In search of resources and trade options, China has turned to the Middle East, including volatile areas where the West fears to do business.
- Syrian Regime Has Used Chemical Weapons: Erdogan
May 09 2013 6:17 PM
Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan said Thursday that the Syrian regime has used chemical weapons, crossing Obama's red line.
- Surprise! Africa’s Fastest-Growing Foreign Direct Investor Is Now... Africa
May 08 2013 6:16 AM
Foreign direct investment in Africa is ramping up, but forget China and the West. This growth is intra-continental.
- Iranian Quds Forces Export Terrorism To Kenya And Beyond
May 07 2013 8:57 AM
Iranian Quds forces have grown more bold and attacked more places in recent years, from Kenya to Thailand to India.
- A Continent Ready For Takeoff, But Only If African Airlines Get Fixed
May 04 2013 9:21 AM
Economic growth is on the upswing in Africa, but it will only continue if the drivers of commerce can take flight.
- Dead Dissident Chea Vichea Rises In Cambodia
May 03 2013 8:21 PM
Cambodian union leader Chea Vichea was killed nine years ago. But, today, he's taking an unexpected new stand.
- What Would Arming Syria's Rebels Look Like?
May 03 2013 9:04 AM
If U.S. officials decided to arm the Syrian rebels, what sorts of weapons and regulations would be involved?
- New Video Shows Nelson Mandela’s Frailty, Outrages South Africans
April 30 2013 11:14 AM
Nelson Mandela looks frail in a new video posted by SABC, and some South Africans have directed their outrage at President Zuma.