Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- How Does The US Justice System Compare?
March 07 2014 2:44 PM
When it comes to civil or criminal justice, the U.S., among high-income nations, is not in the most enviable spot.
- The Banks That Made Bank
March 06 2014 2:03 PM
Mergers and acquisitions hit a five year high in 2013 -- and the investment banks that helped facilitate the deals made a lot of money in fees.
- Where US Ranks On LGBT Armed Forces Inclusion
March 06 2014 6:00 AM
The United States ranks pretty low on the first-ever index that measures LGBT inclusion in armed forces.
- What The March 2014 Federal Reserve Beige Book Is About In One Chart
March 05 2014 2:58 PM
The weather. The severe winter played havoc on economic conditions, according to the Federal Reserve.
- What You Need To Know About China's Defense Budget
March 05 2014 12:56 PM
With its defense budget, China is making a statement. And how do India, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan and the Philippines compare?
- That Moment When Ellen DeGeneres’ Tweet Exploded On Twitter
March 04 2014 12:55 PM
Every single geotagged tweet about the Oscars, in an animated map.
- The Ukraine Protests, In Tweets
March 04 2014 12:28 PM
Every single geotagged tweet that used the #Euromaidan hashtag between Feb. 19 and 23, in an animated map.
- How George Zimmerman And Adam Lanza Reminded Americans Of Their Love For Guns
March 03 2014 3:23 PM
More people put in requests to buy guns during December 2012 than any single month since 1993.
- Every Single Dress Worn By Best Actress Winner Since 1929
February 28 2014 8:59 PM
From Janet Gaynor, the first-ever Academy Award winner, to Jennifer Lawrence.
- Is This The Worst Winter Ever?
February 28 2014 1:47 PM
Only six winters in the last 150 years have been as severe as or worse than the winter of 2013-14 in New York City so far. Here’s proof.
- 15 Years Of Tech Acquisitions
February 27 2014 10:04 AM
Every single company bought by Amazon, Google, Apple, Yahoo and Facebook in the last 15 years, in one interactive visualization.
- How Migrant Workers Are Shaping The Economies Of Home Countries
February 26 2014 6:01 AM
More than 230 million people were living outside the countries of their birth in 2013. Many of them sent money home.
- US Home Prices: 2013 Was A Very Good Year
February 25 2014 12:01 PM
And here's how much they rose in 20 big cities. The top gainers may surprise you.
- A Guide To Mexico’s Drug Cartels
February 24 2014 3:30 PM
How much territory did recently captured Mexican drug kingpin “El Chapo” control?
- How Much Money Do International Immigrants In The US Send Home?
February 21 2014 7:44 AM
The amount of money flowing out of the U.S. in the form of remittances has almost tripled in the last 20 years.
- What Does Doing Recreational Drugs Feel Like?
February 20 2014 3:34 PM
Rehabs.com analyzed thousands of written user experiences from 8 of the most used drugs and visualized the results.
- What's Your Lager Tax? Because, In Heaven There Is No Beer
February 20 2014 1:46 PM
A home to some of the United States' most iconic whiskeys has imposed the country's highest excise tax on beer.
- How Does King Compare?
February 18 2014 1:37 PM
The maker of Candy Crush Saga just filed for an IPO. Here’s how it compares with other publicly held mobile gaming companies.
- The History Of Music In Charts
February 17 2014 3:12 PM
Musicians only started singing about sex in the 1990s.
- Freedom Of The Press
February 17 2014 2:29 PM
Three nations are holding more journalists in jail than the rest of the world combined.