Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- How We Consume News
March 25 2014 1:26 PM
Readers of news sites who type in the URL or click on a bookmarked link tend to spend more time on that site, and click on more stories.
- Besides The US, Which Other Countries Have Strong Armies?
March 24 2014 1:58 PM
The data demonstrates that the world is still spending a considerable portion of public funds on defense.
- Does A Russian Crimea Makes Sense?
March 21 2014 3:51 PM
Crimea’s decision to secede from Ukraine was actually quite predictable. Here's why.
- Why Are So Many People In US Prisons?
March 19 2014 3:36 PM
The United States has less than 5% of the world’s population, but one-fourth of the world’s prisoners. Here’s what people got locked up for.
- A History Of Mysteriously Missing Planes
March 15 2014 11:34 AM
Far fewer planes go missing today than they did 50 years ago, but they are shrouded in mystery.
- How Irish Is Your State?
March 14 2014 10:42 AM
There are four times as many Irish-Americans as people in Ireland. And the stateside Irish really love St. Patrick’s Day.
- Which Musicians Made The Most Money In 2013?
March 11 2014 3:21 PM
The top earner last year netted more than $39 million.
- How Many Planes Crash Every Year?
March 10 2014 3:17 PM
The Malaysia Airlines plane that's missing is the 22nd plane to have crashed this year.
- How Does The US Justice System Compare?
March 07 2014 2:44 PM
When it comes to civil or criminal justice, the U.S., among high-income nations, is not in the most enviable spot.
- The Banks That Made Bank
March 06 2014 2:03 PM
Mergers and acquisitions hit a five year high in 2013 -- and the investment banks that helped facilitate the deals made a lot of money in fees.
- Where US Ranks On LGBT Armed Forces Inclusion
March 06 2014 6:00 AM
The United States ranks pretty low on the first-ever index that measures LGBT inclusion in armed forces.
- What The March 2014 Federal Reserve Beige Book Is About In One Chart
March 05 2014 2:58 PM
The weather. The severe winter played havoc on economic conditions, according to the Federal Reserve.
- What You Need To Know About China's Defense Budget
March 05 2014 12:56 PM
With its defense budget, China is making a statement. And how do India, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan and the Philippines compare?
- That Moment When Ellen DeGeneres’ Tweet Exploded On Twitter
March 04 2014 12:55 PM
Every single geotagged tweet about the Oscars, in an animated map.
- The Ukraine Protests, In Tweets
March 04 2014 12:28 PM
Every single geotagged tweet that used the #Euromaidan hashtag between Feb. 19 and 23, in an animated map.
- How George Zimmerman And Adam Lanza Reminded Americans Of Their Love For Guns
March 03 2014 3:23 PM
More people put in requests to buy guns during December 2012 than any single month since 1993.
- Every Single Dress Worn By Best Actress Winner Since 1929
February 28 2014 8:59 PM
From Janet Gaynor, the first-ever Academy Award winner, to Jennifer Lawrence.
- Is This The Worst Winter Ever?
February 28 2014 1:47 PM
Only six winters in the last 150 years have been as severe as or worse than the winter of 2013-14 in New York City so far. Here’s proof.
- 15 Years Of Tech Acquisitions
February 27 2014 10:04 AM
Every single company bought by Amazon, Google, Apple, Yahoo and Facebook in the last 15 years, in one interactive visualization.
- How Migrant Workers Are Shaping The Economies Of Home Countries
February 26 2014 6:01 AM
More than 230 million people were living outside the countries of their birth in 2013. Many of them sent money home.