Articles by Mark Johanson
- How To Avoid Cell Phone Roaming Fees When Traveling Abroad
April 23 2014 5:47 AM
Global telecommunications companies will earn $57 billion in roaming charges this year -- but they don't have to.
- The Most-Visited US Destination Is …
April 22 2014 9:53 AM
In the battle for U.S. tourism supremacy, there are really only two competitors: New York and Orlando.
- Inspired By Bundy: A Brief History Of Public Land And The American West
April 22 2014 5:50 AM
How did so much U.S. land west of the 100th meridian get gobbled up by the federal government?
- How Many Airplane Stowaways Have Survived The Trip?
April 22 2014 5:44 AM
Roughly 100 people are known to have stowed away under planes during flights worldwide, and only a fraction of them survived.
- After Deadliest Day On Everest, Guides Demand Changes
April 21 2014 6:23 AM
Sherpa guides issued an ultimatum to the government of Nepal, threatening to cease work on Mount Everest until conditions change.
- Marijuana Tourism Kicks Into High Gear In Colorado
April 15 2014 8:31 AM
More than 100,000 visitors are expected to descend on downtown Denver this weekend for cannabis-related festivities.
- New Teen Trend: Tweeting Threats To Airlines
April 15 2014 5:45 AM
Before social media, the worst thing your kid could do was prank call 911. Now, they can threaten an airplane with the click of a button.
- How Pyongyang Marathon Highlights North Korea's Tourism Ambitions
April 14 2014 8:30 AM
Foreign runners made their debut at Pyongyang’s annual marathon Sunday as North Korea sprinted toward its own ambitious tourism goals.
- The 25 Most Popular Destinations In The World
April 14 2014 8:29 AM
TripAdvisor’s 2014 Travelers’ Choice awards for destinations offers a barometer for what’s in and what’s out in global travel.
- For Quality, These US Airlines Soar The Highest
April 08 2014 6:08 AM
Last year was the best for airline performance in a quarter of a century, but that doesn’t mean it’s an entirely rosy picture.
- Cruise Ship In Spotlight Amid Charge Of 'Slave-Like' Worker Conditions
April 08 2014 6:07 AM
Brazilian police say they’ve rescued 11 crew members from “slave-like conditions” on board the cruise ship MSC Magnifica.
- Here's What's In ‘The Orlando Of China’
April 07 2014 5:55 AM
If Macau is China’s Las Vegas, Hengqin Island is about to become its Orlando.
- Malaysia Airlines Rival: Our Pilots Ensure Planes ‘Never Get Lost’
April 06 2014 11:55 AM
Was it a case of editorial oversight or an insensitive dig at the beleaguered competition?
- 8 Great Travel Destinations Of The Near Future
April 02 2014 7:14 AM
Right now, they’re undeveloped islands, noisy construction sites and dreams that exist only on computers.
- Why World Cup Won’t Be A Game Changer For Brazil
April 01 2014 5:20 AM
The Brazilian government has promised big economic benefits from hosting the World Cup, but will they pan out?
- In These Airports,You Won't Mind Waiting
March 31 2014 6:28 AM
Singapore's Changi airport has a pool, movie theater and butterfly garden, and it was just named the best airport in the world.
- Mixed Message? US Promotes Visiting Kiev Days After Travel Warning
March 31 2014 6:26 AM
The U.S. Department Of State is supposed to be the go-to source for advice on global travel, but its message about Ukraine is baffling.
- What Happens When Work Is No Longer A Place?
March 25 2014 1:15 PM
Armed with a Web-based toolkit of Skype, Google Docs and social media, a growing number of professionals are ditching the office for life on the road.
- Why Lower-Income States Pay More For Airfare
March 25 2014 6:08 AM
Residents of lower-income U.S. states pay up to $150 more for a round-trip ticket.
- Shark Attack Tally Rises At World’s Deadliest Beach
March 24 2014 6:57 AM
Port St. Johns' Second Beach in South Africa has been called the deadliest beach in the world, and it lived up to that reputation on Saturday.