Articles by Mark Johanson
- The Men Who March Into Volcanoes To Dig Out Sulfur
March 11 2014 5:42 AM
Java’s death-defying sulfur miners are the last of a dying breed that once worked volcanoes from Chile to New Zealand and Italy.
- What Happens When Your Passport Is Stolen Abroad?
March 11 2014 1:28 AM
Luigi Maraldi’s passport was stolen in Thailand last July, but someone used it to board a now-missing Malaysia Airlines flight.
- Thailand Wants To Do Your Plastic Surgery
March 10 2014 6:31 AM
Post-protest Thailand is in need of a complete image makeover and it hopes you are, too.
- What Flight MH370 Says About Aviation Industry’s Passport Problem
March 10 2014 12:56 AM
Interpol said Sunday that passports are easy to steal, alter and replicate and, all too often, no one is checking.
- Where Expats Flock To ‘Eat, Pray, Love’
March 05 2014 5:35 AM
Ever since “Eat, Pray, Love” put Ubud, Bali, on the map, it’s been something of a sponge soaking up lost souls.
- The Bones That Forever Changed Australia’s History
March 04 2014 2:01 PM
“Mungo Man” emerged from the Australian Outback 40 years ago this week, but his story is very much unfinished.
- Climbing Everest? You Must Return With 18lbs Of Trash
March 03 2014 9:07 PM
Fifty tons of rubbish. That’s the dirty secret of the world’s tallest mountain and one that hardly fits with its public perception.
- 7 Reasons This Mega-Blimp Could Revolutionize Air Travel
March 03 2014 5:41 AM
It’s as long as a football field, packed full of helium like a balloon and can stay up in the air for three weeks. Introducing: Airlander.
- Collapses At Pompeii Highlight Poor State Of World Heritage Icon
March 02 2014 8:59 PM
Is it simply a case of bad weather, or have decades of mismanagement left the UNESCO World Heritage site of Pompeii crumbling at the core?
- Your 2014 Guide To Carnival Season
February 28 2014 5:19 AM
Gather all your feathers, strap on your samba outfit and prepare to earn some beads. Carnival season has arrived!
- Analyzing Ryanair's $10 Transatlantic Flight Pitch
February 28 2014 5:18 AM
If a $10 transatlantic flight sounds too good to be true, it might just be.
- Do Adidas World Cup T-Shirts Promote Sex Tourism To Brazil?
February 26 2014 8:44 PM
One of the controversial shirts depicts a woman in a bikini next to the text: "Lookin' to score?"
- Where In The World (141st Edition)
February 26 2014 6:47 PM
Where in the world was this photo taken?
- Arizona Tourism Sector Pleads For Veto Of Anti-Gay 'Liberty' Bill
February 25 2014 11:06 PM
It’s billed as protecting religious freedoms, but critics argue Senate Bill 1062 would inaugurate a legal form of discrimination.
- Why The US Fined Asiana Airlines $500K For SFO Crash
February 25 2014 8:40 PM
Before Tuesday, the U.S. government had never once charged an airline for breaking the Foreign Air Carrier Family Support Act of 1997.
- 27% Of Flight Attendants Sexually Harassed On The Job
February 24 2014 5:29 AM
If you’re searching for a career that offers regular sexual harassment, you may want to consider a job as a flight attendant.
- Paradise Lost: Tourists Shun Thailand Amid Unrest
February 23 2014 10:45 PM
Thailand tourism officials believe the financial damage from the political unrest could total $2.7 billion over the first two quarters of 2014.
- The 20 Places Every American Should Visit
February 21 2014 5:59 AM
Three weeks ago we asked you to vote for the places every American should visit. Now, we're back with the results.
- Unused Paid Time Off Harms US Economy: Study
February 20 2014 7:53 PM
If you want to help the U.S. economy (not to mention your own personal health), you’ll use all of your paid time off.
- The 10 Best Islands In The World
February 20 2014 6:21 AM
Attention wanderlust would-be island-goers: TripAdvisor has located Earth’s most alluring dollops of land.