Articles by Sophie Song
- China Signs WHO Convention To Curb Tobacco, Then Doubles Production
December 05 2013 3:00 PM
The nation has made relatively few strides in carrying out the WHO's guidelines.
- In Myanmar, Foreign Banks Let Out To Play
December 05 2013 12:26 PM
In a bid to speed up reforms in the banking sector, foreign banks could be allowed more freedom in the future.
- China's Ban Knocks Bitcoin Down A Peg
December 05 2013 11:01 AM
The central bank did not prohibit individuals from trading in the virtual currency.
- Two Dollars For Insurance?
December 05 2013 5:25 AM
That's how much poor Cambodians have to pay, yet most still do not have insurance.
- Asian-Americans Doing More Than Their Part For The Economy
December 04 2013 2:20 PM
They outspend the average American household by a significant margin, and they comprise the biggest group of online shoppers.
- Chinese Mobile Users Catch Up To Rest Of World
December 04 2013 12:18 PM
The big three telecoms in China received licenses for 4G, which could mean a new distribution deal for iPhones.
- British Pig Semen Worth Millions?
December 04 2013 10:26 AM
David Cameron has pushed through a deal to export pig semen to China.
- China's WeChat - Not Just For Chat Anymore
December 02 2013 11:39 AM
Look out Baidu and Alibaba: WeChat is about to open a new competitive front.
- China To Replace Assembly Lines With 3D Printers?
December 02 2013 10:26 AM
U.S. manufacturers still have a technological advantage over China in 3D printing, but not for long.
- Bitcoin Black Friday Is A Thing
November 27 2013 10:18 AM
Until now, the majority of bitcoins have not been used to make purchases, but Bitcoin Black Friday aims to change that.
- You Won't Believe How Much China's Wealthy Have Stashed Overseas
November 26 2013 12:41 PM
More than half of China’s millionaires are considering or have already taken steps to move money overseas.
- The Real Reason Behind China's Qualcomm Investigation
November 26 2013 11:11 AM
China's anti-trust probe may be motivated by potential benefit for state-owned telecom companies.
- Myanmar's Bloody Gold Mining
November 25 2013 12:33 PM
The country's gold production is growing in leaps, but its miners are suffering from rudimentary mining practices.
- You Won't Believe How Much China Developers Owe In Land Taxes
November 25 2013 10:59 AM
The report quickly caused a backlash in the business community, and the state TV channel may even be sued.
- China's 'New Child Policy' - The Impact
November 22 2013 11:51 AM
The expected 2 million to 3 million additional births annually will surely boost commercial activity.
- Who Will Be Gary Locke's Successor?
November 22 2013 9:46 AM
Speculation surfaces as to who will succeed Gary Locke as the U.S. ambassador to China.
- Private Investors To Get Chance To Develop 30 Myanmar Airports
November 21 2013 9:49 AM
In a bid to improve its underdeveloped airport capacity and infrastructure, Myanmar is hoping for help from the private sector.
- Head Of Chinese Bank: Our Bad Loan Ratio Is Better Than Yours
November 20 2013 3:29 PM
The chairman of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China says their NPL of 0.91 is "excessively good."
- China's Insatiable Appetite For Gold
November 20 2013 12:42 PM
All markets do not increase in size perpetually, except, perhaps, China's gold market.
- Myanmar: Love/Hate Relationship With Foreign Tobacco Makers
November 20 2013 10:20 AM
The country's trade ministry welcomes the investment even as the health ministry tries to curb smoking.