The rupee fell over 1 percent on Monday tracking the slide in domestic equities and the euro on fears that Europe's debt crisis will hurt global growth.
* At 9:24 a.m., the partially convertible rupee was 49.51/52 per dollar, weaker from Thursday's close of 48.97/98. The domestic currency market was closed on Friday for banks' half-yearly closing of accounts.
* The euro sank to an eight-month low against the dollar on Monday and is poised to fall further after the Greek government said the debt-ridden country will miss a deficit target set just months ago in a massive bailout package.
* The euro was at $1.3324, sharply lower from $1.3614 at the
end of rupee trade on Thursday.
* The index of the dollar against six major currencies was up 0.65 percent at 79.072 points. It had been at 77.721 points previously.
* The local benchmark share index was down more than 1.8 percent.