Out of bed, Sleepy Heads! It’s time to wake up and prepare for the return of our favorite Fox supernatural series, “Sleepy Hollow.” Season 2 will premiere on Monday, Sept. 22, and we can hardly hold onto our heads! But before “Sleepy Hollow” makes its spooky debut with episode 1, “Hellfire,” here’s 7 things you should know about the new season of the nail-biting show:
1. Season 2 Premiere Synopsis – The chilling drama will pick up with episode 1, “Hellfire.” According to the synopsis for the "Sleepy Hollow" Season 2 premiere, our protagonists will find a way to escape their current, unfortunate predicaments. Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison), who starts off Season 2 trapped in a box underground, and Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie), locked away in purgatory, will manage to free themselves. But once they do they’ll realize Katrina (Katia Winter) and Jenny (Lyndie Greenwood) are missing.
“The Two Witnesses have not abandoned their quest to fight tirelessly against Moloch and his minions. Meanwhile, Moloch’s malevolent forces use all the powers at their disposal in an attempt to locate a key -- once belonging to founding father Benjamin Franklin -- which is capable of unlocking the gates of Purgatory,” the summary teases. Sin-Eater Henry Parish (John Noble) will learn of a valuable artifact in “Hellfire.” But he won’t be the only one after the treasure. Ichabod has more motive than ever before to find the key first and will use the item to re-enter Purgatory in “order to fulfill a promise."
2. The More The Merrier – Unlike Season 1, the sophomore installment will contain 18 episodes! Nervous that might drag out the storyline? Never fear. Executive producer mark Goffman explained to Entertainment Weekly that the same creative and production values, which fans previously enjoyed in Season 1, would continue.
“We look at this series as epic and every episode as needing to be epic,” Goffman said. “Every episode needs to be an adventure, and something mind blowing has to happen to our characters, with major revelations that move the story forward. We still approach it with that in mind. The more episodes you do, the harder that becomes, but I feel we are still at level where we can maintain that pace.”
3. Laugh Until You Die – As dramatic as “Sleepy Hollow” is, Season 2 will also bring the laughs. Watch Mison’s character tickle us silly with his adorable quips. Don’t you just love a man with a good sense of humor?
4. Creepy Episode Titles - Thus far, fourteen of Season 2's episode titles (and some air dates), have been released -- and they're totally creepy.
Episode 1: "Hellfire" (Sept. 22)
Episode 2: "The Kindred" (Sept. 29)
Episode 3: "Root of All Evil" (Oct. 6)
Episode 4: "Go Where I Send Thee..." (Oct. 13)
Episode 5: "The Weeping Lady" (Oct. 20)
Episode 6: "And the Abyss Gazes Back" (Oct. 27)
Episode 7: "Deliverance"
Episode 8: "Heartless"
Episode 9: "Mama"
Episode 10: "Magnum Opus"
Episode 11: "The Akeda" (Dec. 1)
Episode 12: "What Lies Beneath" (Jan. 5)
Episode 13: "Framed" (Jan. 12)
Episode 14: "Being Superior" (Jan. 19)
4. Founding Father Recast – Bejamin Franklin, who was previously portrayed by Memphis native journalist Jon Sparks, will be replaced with Timothy Busfield -- who you best know from “The West Wing.” It was revealed in the episode 1 synopsis that a key, which once belonged to Franklin, is capable of opening the gates to Purgatory. In the wrong hands this key could result in a catastrophic -- or apocalyptic disaster.
— SleepyHollowWriters (@sleepywriters) May 9, 2014
5. New Faces – While we're excited to see our "Sleepy Hollow" friends return to the small screen, viewers will also be introduced to new comers to the town.
"House of Cards" star Sakina Jaffrey will by playing the role of the town's new sheriff. Her character, Leena Reyes, will be replacing Irving (Orlando Jones) after he was locked away from a crime he didn't commit. Leena is said to be "smart, forceful, highly trained and commanding." She'll also display a "warm and maternal side."
Matt Barr will be playing a "ruggedly handsome" character named Nick Hawley. According to reports, the "easy-on-the-eyes-bad---" will bring comedic relief to the sometimes gut-wrenching "Sleepy Hollow" plot.
Aunjanue Ellis of "The Mentalist" has been cast as Abbie's mother. According to reports, Abbie and Jenny were taken away from their mother, Lori, when they were children and eventually ended up in foster care. The girls always believed that their mom, who allegedly committed suicide, was unstable and even dangerous. But the two will learn the truh when new information regarding Lori surfaces in the new season.
6. Three's An (Evil) Company – Fans will meet a new Horseman in Season 2, episode 2, according to reports. The show's new villain is rumored to be tall, muscular and good with a sword. We've already met Death and War so who do you think we'll be introduced to next? Conquest or Famine?
7. First Look – Get a first look at Season 2 of "Sleepy Hollow":
"Sleepy Hollow" Season 2 will premiere on Fox on Monday, Oct. 22, at 9 p.m. EDT.