Tax Day 2015 will be here before you know it. The Internal Revenue Service's April 15 tax deadline has Americans across the nation crunching numbers and hunting down receipts.
Doing taxes is never fun, with all that complicated paperwork and numerous deductions. You have to unearth interest statements from banks and mortgage companies, track down receipts from charities and organize business expenses. In the end, you will either get a refund or have to send a check for unpaid taxes.
In honor of the stressful tax season, below are 16 quotes about paying taxes, filing a return and waiting for a refund to share with friends and family.
1. “The taxpayer: that’s someone who works for the federal government but doesn’t have to take a civil service examination.” – Ronald Reagan
2. “Make sure you pay your taxes; otherwise you can get in a lot of trouble.” – Richard M. Nixon
3. “You don’t pay taxes – they take taxes.” – Chris Rock
4. “The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.” – Albert Einstein
5. "Our Constitution is in actual operation; everything appears to promise that it will last; but nothing in this world is certain but death and taxes." – Benjamin Franklin
6. "Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt." – Herbert Hoover
7. "No taxes can be devised which are not more or less inconvenient and unpleasant." – George Washington
8. "Taxes are paid in the sweat of every man who labors." – Franklin D. Roosevelt
9. "I shall never use profanity except in discussing house rent and taxes." – Mark Twain
10. “One thing is clear: The Founding Fathers never intended a nation where citizens would pay nearly half of everything they earn to the government.” – Ron Paul
11. “We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.” – Winston S. Churchill
12. "This is too difficult for a mathematician. It takes a philosopher." – Albert Einstein on filing taxes.
13. "When there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income." – Plato
14. "Taxes grow without rain." – Jewish proverb
15. "We don't need new taxes. We need new taxpayers, people that are gainfully employed, making money and paying into the tax system. And then we need a government that has the discipline to take that additional revenue and use it to pay down the debt and never grow it again." – Marco Rubio
16. "Why is it that if you take advantage of a corporate tax break you're a smart businessman, but if you take advantage of something so you don't go hungry, you're a moocher?" – Jon Stewart