A 16-year-old South Dakota boy was shot dead after a paintball game after he allegedly got into an argument with another teen.

Dalton Williams, 16, of Pierre, was discovered with a gunshot wound to his chest around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, the Associated Press reported. He was taken to a nearby hospital but died from his injuries.

The suspect, Braiden McCahren, also 16, is being charged as an adult and was expected to make his first court appearance Thursday, the AP reported.

A third teen, identified in an affidavit as “T.Y.,” told police that he and Braiden went to a gun shop on the day of the shooting to purchase a .22-caliber rifle, according to the Pierre Capital Journal.

The third teen said Braiden initially pointed the firearm at him as the two teenagers and Dalton argued following a paintball game.

“T.Y. advised that he and Braiden got into an argument about a paintball incident that occurred in the past. T.Y. advised that they began to wrestle around jokingly,” the affidavit states, according to the Capital Journal. “T.Y. advised that Braiden then went to the front door of the residence close to the kitchen where they were standing and that Braiden retrieved a semi-automatic shotgun.”

Braiden pointed the gun at T.Y. and the weapon clicked, according to the documents. He then reloaded and pointed the gun again.

“T.Y. advised that T.Y. went toward a sliding door in an attempt to leave the residence but was unable to get out of the door. T.Y. advised that at this time Dalton was standing between T.Y. and Braiden,” the affidavit said. “T.Y. advised that Braiden was facing T.Y. and Dalton and the gun fired and he observed a splatter and then he left the residence going by Dalton and Braiden and exiting out the front door of the residence at which time T.Y. called 911.”


Piertre Police Chief Bob Grandpre confirmed to the AP that the argument and the wrestling occurred between T.Y. and Braiden, not Dalton. 

Dalton’s funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at Faith Lutheran Church in Pierre, the AP reported.

Grandpre told the wire service that personnel with the city’s school district and mental health professionals are giving support to the community and Riggs High School, where Braiden and Dalton were classmates.

"We're continuing the investigation to make sure we understand everything that we believe happened inside the house," he said.