Terrence Howard’s former wife, Michelle Ghent, is accusing him of brutally beating her up during a family vacation in Costa Rica last week, but the actor has denied the incident, TMZ said in a report.

Ghent is heading to court on Tuesday to obtain a restraining order against the 44-year-old "Dead Man Down" actor for physically assaulting and threatening her.

But, according to TMZ, Howard has filed a police report countering the accusation, saying she attacked him and his children with pepper spray. He stated in the report that Ghent, who tried to commit suicide two months back, was hospitalized and diagnosed with paranoia, prompting her to make this claim.

Ghent said as much in a text message that she sent to Howard, which is cited in the police report. "I'm just insane. I went to a crazy institute," she texted, according to TMZ.

During Tuesday’s hearing, Howard will show to a judge other text messages sent by Ghent, threatening him and his family. "I would start hiding if I were u," "Be careful when u leave your place.  U should move," and "I know where u and ur family live.  Watch yourself," are some of the messages Ghent sent to Howard since their divorce in May.

In another message, Ghent said Howard needs to be “put down once and for all,” and that she won’t stop until everyone knows his true character.

But, according to an Us Weekly report, this is not the first time Ghent is alleging that the actor had physically abused her.

Reportedly, the physical abuse started just one week into their wedding in January 2010 where he "slugged me across my face and neck." At one point during their marriage, Ghent claims he smacked her across the face and said, “If you tell anyone about my personal business, I will kill you and no one will ever know," Us Weekly said in a report.