Legislative Council Building / Cenotaph & Statue Square
Opened in 1912, The Legislative Council Building in Central was
declared a historical monument in 1984 and was home to the Supreme
Court until 1985 when it was converted for its present use. The most
outstanding feature of the building is the pediment in the center of
the building that contains the statue of the Greek Goddess of Justice,
Themis who is blindfolded and holds a scale.
Foreign Correspondents' Club / Fringe Club
Foreign Correspondents' Club (FCC) is where journalists from across the
globe gather to wine, dine and gossip. The FCC has invested heavily to
accentuate the lasting architectural merit of the building. The
interior today, with its dark wood panelling and long bar, is a vivid
reminder of more relaxed colonial times.
The Fringe Club is housed in a brick and stucco colonial-style low-rise
structure built in 1913. Long before refrigerators became common
household items, it was used as a cold-storage warehouse for ice and
dairy products. The building has since been declared a historical
monument and, in 1984, the southern segment was taken over by the
Fringe Club, a hot spot for arts and crafts exhibitions, and the home
of the annual Fringe Festival.
by the French Mission in 1915 and most of the present building was the
result of an extensive renovation carried out in 1917.
The granite and red brick structure of the building can be
described as neo-classical in style, dating from the Edwardian period
(1901-10). It was returned to the Government after the war and has been
used for different purposes including the headquarters of the Education
Department, the District Court, the Supreme Court and the Information
Services Department. It now houses the Court of Final Appeal.
former official residence of 25 British governors of Hong Kong prior to
the handover in 1997. Built between 1851 - 1855 and extensively
redesigned by the Japanese during their occupation of Hong Kong during
WWII, the building has become a key heritage site. Since 2005, it has
reverted to its original role, as home and office of the Chief
Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. The splendid
gardens filled with lovely rhododendrons and azaleas are opened for
public viewing on special occasions.
Noon Day Gun
Located on the waterfront in Causeway Bay is the Noon Day Gun made famous by the Noel Coward song Mad Dogs and Englishmen.
The gun is fired once every day at noon. The tradition is said to date
back to the time a Jardine employee fired a one-gun salute when the
head of the company sailed into port. A senior Royal Navy officer took
offence at this practice and as a penalty, the company was ordered to
Kong people. St. John's Cathedral is the oldest surviving Western
ecclesiastical building in Hong Kong and is believed to be the oldest
Anglican place of worship in the Far East. Built in a style adopted
from both the 13th-Century Early English and Decorated Gothic,
construction was completed in 1849.
University of Hong Kong
The University of Hong Kong, opened in 1912, is the territory's oldest
university. Among its distinguished list of graduates is Dr Sun
Yat-sen, the founder and acting President of the first Republic of
China. Located on the hillsides above Western district, the university
is best approached through the Mid-Levels. The campus includes the
University Museum and Art Gallery, which is the oldest museum in Hong
Kong and houses Chinese art and antiquities, principally ceramics,
bronzes and paintings. The bronze collection includes the world's
largest collection of Yuan dynasty Nestorian crosses.
historical interest in 1990, serves as an Enviromental Protection
Department Resource Centre.
Opened in 1913, the building features the original overhanging
bevel eves and the counters. A Chinese couplet hung in the entrance
says: If we foul our world that sustains us, what then shall we eat?
Scorn hygiene that protects life, where then shall we live?
The building services include a reference library, a
touch-screen environmental information system and a specially designed
constructed for foreign residents in Hong Kong. The architecture is
typical of many English schools of the Victorian era. The building is
now used as the office of the Antiquities and Monuments Office.
gilded, columned lobby, first received guests in 1928. It is the ideal
spot for afternoon tea with cakes and cucumber sandwiches.