Articles by India
- Ayurvedic Pills Linked To Lead Poisoning In Pregnant Women: Study
August 24 2012 7:40 AM
Lead poisoning has been detected in several women who took Ayurvedic medicines during their pregnancy, according to a study by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Coal Scam Deadlock In Indian Parliament: Ruling Congress Resorts To Aggressive Retaliation
August 24 2012 7:08 AM
Sonia Gandhi, chairperson of the Congress-led ruling United Progressive Alliance in India, has given a go ahead to the younger Congress brigade to step up the party's retaliatory tactics against the opposition's offensive over a recent report of possible government corruption in the sale of coal concessions to private firms.
- Which Is Slower – A Snail Or The Indian Passport Offices?
August 24 2012 1:54 AM
The Indian government has recently fixed a deadline of 30 days for issuing passports after the applications are filed, in an attempt to speed up the process amid rising complaints about the months-long waiting period for the document.
- FDI Nod for Disney as Govt Approves $180 mln Proposal
August 24 2012 12:32 AM
India approved a $180 million foreign direct investment plan by U.S. media group Walt Disney, part of a new push to clear a backlog of investment proposals as the finance ministry seeks to inject new life into the slowing economy.
- Plus Ça Change: France Opens Jobs To Roma People After Destroying Their Encampments
August 23 2012 12:25 PM
France will abandon some of its discriminatory policies against Roma immigrants and give them greater access to the French job market.
- India May Shut Down Twitter In Wake Of Hate Messages Aimed At Migrant Workers
August 23 2012 9:46 AM
Given India’s long and bloody history of communal and sectarian violence, such warnings were not taken lightly.
- Strike Cripples Operations Of Public Sector Banks In India
August 23 2012 6:08 AM
Public sector banks in India were closed for the second day Thursday as thousands of employees boycotted work and participated in the two-day strike called by the United Forum of Bank Employees Union.
- Coal Scam Paralyzes Indian Parliament; Opposition Demands PM's Resignation
August 23 2012 5:32 AM
India's parliament was paralyzed for the third consecutive day Thursday after the opposition demanded Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's resignation over a recent report of possible corruption in the sale of coal concessions to private firms.
- India’s Finance Minister Approves Proposal For 49% FDI In Insurance, Pension Sectors
August 23 2012 4:25 AM
India's Finance Minister P Chidambaram Wednesday approved a proposal to raise foreign direct investment (FDI) ceiling in insurance and pension sectors to 49 percent from the existing 26 percent to boost investor confidence.
- Angelina Jolie’s ‘Maleficent’ Reportedly Casts Princess Aurora...And It’s Vivienne Jolie-Pitt
August 22 2012 9:52 AM
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have another star in their house. It's reported that four-year-old daughter Vivienne Jolie-Pitt has landed the role of Princess Aurora in the upcoming "Sleeping Beauty" retelling, "Maleficent."
- India’s State Bank Employees Strike To Protest Government’s Planned Reforms
August 22 2012 9:35 AM
About 70,000 bank branches – including The State Bank of India, the nation’s largest public sector bank – will be idle.
- New US Work Visa Regulations To Hit Indian IT Companies Badly
August 22 2012 6:59 AM
The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) is set to adapt a tougher visa regime that makes getting H-1B nonimmigrant visas harder for the U.S. companies. Once implemented, the DOL decision will hurt several companies that hire cheap and skilled workers from countries like India and China.
- Bank Staff Begin 2-Day Strike Against Reforms
August 22 2012 1:14 AM
Bank employees in India began a two-day strike on Wednesday to protest against proposed reforms that would ease mergers and allow more private capital, including foreign investment, in the banking sector.
- Dell?s 2Q Misses Estimates; Projects Low Growth As Shares Plunge
August 21 2012 4:19 PM
Dell (Nasdaq: DELL), the No. 3 PC maker, reported second-quarter results that missed analyst?s estimates. Worse, the company said it expected third-quarter performance to fall below expectations.
- India's Coalfield Scandal: Another Black Mark Against PM Singh?
August 21 2012 10:48 AM
?Nothing short of the prime minister?s resignation will satisfy us,? said senior BJP official Yashwant Sinha.
- India's Consumer Price Inflation Moderates To 9.86%
August 21 2012 6:10 AM
India's retail inflation rate dropped marginally to 9.86 percent in July from 9.93 percent recorded in June, according to the data released by the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation.
- Dell 2Q Earnings Preview: Now In Third Place, Where?s New Growth?
August 21 2012 5:54 AM
Dell is scheduled to report second-quarter results Tuesday below last year?s. For the first time, the company founded by Chairman Michael S. Dell nearly 30 years ago in a dorm room will be ranked No. 3 in PC sales, having lost its No. 2 ranking last quarter to China?s Lenovo Group.
- Maruti's Manesar Plant Reopened Amid Tight Security; Management Expects Protests, Lawsuits By Sacked Workers
August 21 2012 5:48 AM
India's leading carmaker Maruti Suzuki Tuesday reopened its Manesar plant amid tight security, a month after it was shutdown following violence by a section of the workers.
- Asian Stocks Rise As Stimulus Hopes Prevail
August 21 2012 12:42 AM
Most of the Asian markets rose Tuesday as investors maintained hopes about monetary easing measures from policymakers around the world to tackle the weakening of the global economic growth.
- Floating Golf Courses, Villas Part Of Maldives Plan To Rise Above Sea Levels
August 20 2012 3:19 PM
What do you do when your country is sinking? If you?re the Maldivian government, you create a series of floating islands that include a hotel and convention center, private villas and an 18-hole golf course.