Articles by Nancy Pelosi
- Obama Jobs Speech: Proposed $300B Package, Republicans Won’t Respond
September 07 2011 12:38 PM
President Barack Obama is said to be planning to inject about $300 billion into the economy next year through tax cuts and infrastructure spending, and will present his plan in a speech later this week.But Republicans won't show up for Obama's address or offer an official televised rebuttal, as they say the President's speech will sink or swim on its own
- Obama Speech: Pelosi Peeved, Pressure Mounting on Jobs Plan
September 07 2011 10:25 AM
President Barack Obama's anticipated jobs speech is still more than a day away but already it's causing a controversial rift among Republican and Democratic leaders. Republicans have decided not to give a rebuttal to the Obama's speech Thursday before Congress, and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi says the lack of response will be disrespectful to the President and to the American people.
- Analysis: Obama's Trade Legacy in a Crucible This Fall
September 02 2011 6:39 PM
After a slow start that has frustrated U.S. business groups, the next four months could be important to President Barack Obama's legacy on trade.
- ‘Super’ Debt Committee Sets Date For First Meeting
September 02 2011 4:43 PM
Bipartisan committee will meet same day as Obama's economy speech.
- Will An Italian-American Ever Be Elected President?
August 30 2011 7:29 AM
Keep in mind that since the election of John F. Kennedy, no Catholic has ascended to the White House. Neither has a woman, or a Jew, or an Asian or a Latino.
- Obama, GOP Hopefuls Tour the Country, Keep Tabs on Each Other
August 16 2011 5:48 PM
Obama and presidential contenders point out flaws, defend themselves.
- U.S. Debt Deal: With Super Committee Seats Filled, Hard Work Begins
August 12 2011 11:25 AM
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., rounded out the super committee by announcing her three House Democratic members for the special bipartisan board. Now the tough work begins: reducing the deficit by at least another $1.5 trillion over 10 years, and as far as the financial markets are concerned, the sooner the reduction is announced, the better.
- Gingrich Dead On About Super Committee Deficiencies
August 12 2011 9:43 AM
Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich hasn't had much success in the race of late, losing all momentum and most of his staff, but finally got back on track last night in a televised debate.
- Nancy Pelosi Picks Her Three ?Super? Debt Committee Members
August 12 2011 9:35 AM
Choices add diversity to the panel.
- Republican Dave Camp Rules Nothing Out for Debt Panel
August 11 2011 7:03 PM
A leading Republican lawmaker would not rule out tax increases on Thursday if they fostered economic growth, adding that "everything is on the table" for a U.S. congressional panel charged with forging a deal to cut the deficit.
- 'Super Committee' Members Announced by Pelosi
August 11 2011 3:16 PM
The House minority leader picked Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, Xavier Becerra of California and James Clyburn of South Carolina, rounding out the 12-member deficit-fighting panel.
- U.S. Debt Deal: Could Super Committee Help Calm Markets With Deficit Reduction?
August 11 2011 11:40 AM
With the appointment of nine of 12 members, the "super committee" charged with reducing the budget deficit by at least another $1.5 trillion is taking shape. The body could help stabilize the financial markets by announcing a ?quick-start? agreement on additional debt reduction.
- Republican tax hardliners on U.S. debt super panel
August 10 2011 7:26 PM
Republicans named their six members on Wednesday to a U.S. congressional deficit-reduction super committee, including a favorite of the conservative Tea Party movement and other no-new-taxes hardliners.
- U.S. Debt Deal: Reid Picks Murray, Baucus, Kerry for Decisive 'Supercommittee'
August 09 2011 7:08 PM
Sen. Harry Reid announced that he is appointing Sens. Patty Murray (Wash.), Max Baucus (Mont.) and John Kerry (Mass.) to a 12 member committee, mandated by the U.S. debt deal, that will be responsible for slicing more than $1 trillion out of the federal deficit.
- House Ends 200-Year-Old Page Program
August 09 2011 1:48 AM
House Leaders announced on Monday that they are shutting down the House page program, a nearly 200-year-old institution which allowed high school students to serve as messengers and learn about the Congress
- Jay-Z, Tom Hanks, Chris Rock party for Obama's 50th
August 05 2011 1:56 PM
When you are the leader of the free world, you can invite whomever you want to an event and they will show up.
- Shooting victim Giffords returns for debt vote
August 02 2011 11:35 AM
Representative Gabrielle Giffords returned to the House floor on Monday for the first time since she was shot in the head in January, receiving a thunderous ovation from Democrats and Republicans alike.
- Gabrielle Giffords returns for debt vote
August 02 2011 10:39 AM
Representative Gabrielle Giffords returned to the U.S. House on Monday night for the first time since an assassination attempt, drawing thunderous applause in a rare moment of unity during a contentious vote to raise the U.S. debt ceiling.
- Gabrielle Giffords Returns: Yes, Miracles Do Happen
August 02 2011 9:27 AM
U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords reminded Washington and the rest of America and watching world that yes, miracles do happen. Her arrival on the scene to cast a vote for the debt-limit bill came at just the right moment.
- Gabrielle Giffords Attends Congress: Will She Run for Re-Election?
August 02 2011 1:17 AM
Turning a new page in her post-shooting life, U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords attended Congress last night to take part in the voting on the debt deal.