Truth or dare has taken to YouTube.
A group of Florida teens decided their school day was better spent posting dangerous challenges on YouTube. The dares, which included using an eraser on bare skin until it bled and ingesting large quantities of cinnamon, were performed on school property, Local 6 reports.
The nine students from Deltona High School in Deltona, Fla., were caught by the local news station after reporters found the videos online.
“For the students we could identify, we referred them to a school counselor and called their parents,” said Nancy Wait of the Volusia County Schools.
One of the clips shows a girl trying to swallow a large amount of cinnamon. Her face turns red and she squirms before spitting the powder out in a nearby trash can. Another video shows a boy using an eraser to burn his skin. A white mark on his hand shows where the eraser was used.
The Deltona teens’ antics highlight a growing trend.
At Easton Area Middle School 5/6 in Easton, Pa., students were found participating in eraser burn, cutting and self-injury challenges. They were also reportedly crushing up, snorting and smoking Smarties candies to get high, the Express-Times reports.
Tomlinson Middle School in Fairfield, Conn., issued a warning to parents about eraser burns that some call “the sissy test.” The school warns that the resulting scabs can lead to infections like toxic shock syndrome, tetanus and hepatitis.
While eraser burning seems like it has “been going on forever,” the cinnamon challenge is relatively new. Propelled by a plethora of YouTube videos that show people attempting to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon, the stunt can damage the lungs.
“This stunt has raised concerns in the medical community of choking, aspiration (drawing foreign substances into the lungs) and lung damage,” the American Academy of Pediatrics says. The organization says at least 30 teens needed medical treatment after trying the cinnamon challenge last year.
A Michigan teen tells a different story. Last year, Dejah Reed, then 16, was hospitalized after her lung collapsed, WXYZ reports.
“It was caught in my throat. I couldn’t breathe … it almost killed me that night,” Reed said.
Originally from Montreal, Zoë Mintz joined IBTimes in March 2013. A graduate from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University, her writing has...
- 15-Year-Old Suspended After School Says Hand Gesture Represented Gang Sign
- New Ancient Crocodile Species Discovered, ‘Button Tooth Crocodile’ Identified By ‘Sheer Serendipity’ [PHOTO]
- 5 Malaysia Airlines Conspiracy Theories
- ‘Monster’ Stars In Orion Nebula Destroy Nascent Planets, UV Regions Are ‘Downright Hazardous’